Why do we buy Landrovers...

JeffR

OK so sat waiting for a courier to deliver a new front prop for the family Disco. UJ that was 14 months old and greased regularly (GKN heavy duty job) let rip and totalled the prop - wife unhappy, me very unhappy.

So found out that it's nigh on bloody impossible to remove the nuts/bolts holding the yokes onto the diff/transfer box with only one fully functional hand and another that's as much bloody use as an MP. So much for the surgery I had earlier this year, left arm is bloody useless - sorry for the rant but frustration has set in big time

Learning the Land Rover prop change on a series one with Whitworth nuts fitted, I also learnt to use two spanners. I've tried the Difflock tool and binned it. Two spanners are so easy....

OH! yes. Even when lubricated correctly the rear u/j on the front prop will let go

Luckily, Mike, Kirstin was driving so was pottering along in heavy traffic - I still find driving very very uncomfortable, the 23 stitches I had in the palm of my hand have left a raised scar, mind you the internal stitches in my elbow have stopped itching (now that was a weird sensation), but I still cannot fully extend my arm.

Feel your pain, or should I say "felt"?

Changing a front prop on a mates Disco, he has a worse back than me so it made sense to lend a hand but really not fun on gravel drive with no ramps or axle stands to get it higher, made worse by it still sitting on 205x16 tyres :( But it did prove the diet was working as I could still slide in underneath it lol.

sorry to hear you're still not fully mended yet Jeff :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well this bloody things now gone on the offensive...... So far in the past few months the key snapped in the ignition lock buggering up the tumblers (nice little man from AA took best part of two hours to get us mobile), the prop gave up the ghost (still running in 2 wheel drive - damn this useless left arm) then just add insult to injury last night the headlamp switch decided to turn the headlights off (permanently) on or about the apex of a nasty bend. The resulting trip thro a hedge and 280m into a wet, boggy very bloody slippery field was, how can I put it, oh yes, exciting in a very smelly sort of way. Rear wheel drive Discos take a bloody age to get out of a bog. This vehicle is very rapidly heading towards a gallon of petrol and a box of matches. The 10 mile drive home on side lights was even more interesting given the monsoon conditions in Northumberland, that reminds me, I must remember to feed the glow worms that appear to be masquerading as sidelights.....

Forgot to add that the central locking is now possessed and functions randomly , that is when it decides to let us open whichever of the five doors we would like to enter/exit , and my multimeter has given up the ghost.

There are increasing numbers of shoddy Chinese counterfeit parts out there for all brands in all engineering applications (you'd be amazed how widespread it is in the aviation industry). Land Rover are no exception, so you may have been caught out by one. Then again, if you wade from time to time and aren't scrupulous about greasing afterwards, then that could also be a factor. At least Land Rovers haven't been done for faking MoT emissions tests, and haven't earned a reputation for going to full throttle, locking out the engine start/stop button and failing the brakes simultaneously.

The plot thickens, new indicator/light switch arrived this morning, took all of ten minutes to instal, still got no bloody headlights. Got side lights and flash full beam but no permanent full beam or dipped lights, there are no relays on a 200 tdi disco, therefore I have not got a bloody clue - anyone got a suggestion?

How old is the Discovery ? How often do you give it a proper ie manufacturer type servive and check ? do you think any vehicle of similar age etc would be any better ? JMHO but probably not ;)

Ancient! Serviced regularly, it's just 17 of the previous owners hated the thing!