New defender concept - NOT DC100 - actually quite like it

discomikey

sorry if this should be in defender section, i just thought it would apply to more than just defender owners.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-land-rover-defender-launch-2016

they seem to have upped their game a bit. if this is real of course. still not as nice looking as the dezyn smith concept but i do like it. still think the bonnet looks a little funny though.

thoughts? :stirthepot::popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

Words are cheap , and saying something is a lot different from delivering , eg

"JLR is determined that the new Defender will be able to thrive in the world’s harshest conditions"

"This, combined with the intention of world-class mechanical durability"

then they go and spoil it from go with the following

"They will be connected to eight and nine-speed automatic gearboxes as standard, but there is no definitive news on whether there will be the option of a manual transmission."

What a load of carp about being able to fit landcruiser rims , they forget they made fun about the tiny wheel studs in comparison with landrover a few years back , In all the decades of driving landrovers , over bad terrain in many countries , i have yet to need to replace a rim ! Looks like its going down the poseur road , with a lot of spin , hope they prove me wrong .

Still though, those words are almost polar opposite of what your man was hinting at last year or the year before. So that's a bit better!

I reckon it looks a lot better than the last drawings, and sounds more promising too. Like the fact that the rims look steel on the... lavender one?

The styling of the new Defender has already been signed off; this Autocar image shows how the car could look
JLR has, so far, succeeded in keeping the wraps on the likely styling and the engineering make-up of the new Defender. However, we do know that the styling of the new car has already been signed off.

AKA they have got no idea how it's actually going to look, so autocar have taken a stab in the dark and created a concept themselves.

I like it. Spending the money on fuel to push a brick shape through the air isn't the done thing anymore and as it needs to pick up other land rover styling cues to re-enforce the brand that looks good to me.

Fair comment! However to me it looks like a Defender roof strangely grafted onto Disco and Rangie bits!

Legislation has killed the Defender, and for me it would have been better to leave it there rather than make a bitsa car that looks vaguely Defender-ish!

Utterly fugly and I hope the design JLR have agreed on is better than Autocars idea,

From the article: "There’s also no news about the structure underpinning the new Defender, but it looks likely to be...................."

So, lets get this straight - they have no idea what it's going to look like - so they've made it up and they have no news about the platform, engine, gearbox or anyhing else - so they've made that up too.

I don't think we can actually learn anything about what the new Defender may look like from this article! The stuff about Toyota rims - well, that like the rest of it, is made up!

Si

I would have one of those as an every day car whereas I wouldn't have a current defender as an every day car in the same way that I would have a new wrangler as an every day car but I wouldn't have had the old one.

However the reasons that I wouldn't have the current defender are the reasons that most people world over buy something like a defender so I fear anything they end up with is going to be in the freelander / discovery sport market rather than the utility market and the utility people will lean towards pickups... Will Land Rover do a pickup version?

So in reality then, its another case of 'this is what we think they're going to make...but we've got to be the first to break the news so we'll make it up and hope we're close, covering all options in the process'!

Yup, just media guff and bluster with very little factual content.

Replacing the Defender must be an OPPORTUNITY for Land Rover. All the money that gushes in these days has it's roots in a (somewhat out of date) legend that became the Defender. With the great strides they have made in terms of a whole new approach to what gets a vehicle over rough ground, they are well placed to make something that combines the clever tech with some genuine toughness. Add more efficient production techniques into the equation, they could not only make a profit but reinforce the image that underpins the whole Land Rover marque. I'm very excited by the possibilities!

However.... if they make something that looks like just another 4WD from the East, or puts style over function, or is crippled by small tyres (or tiny wheel studs!), or even just reinforces the "not-totally-reliable" part of the legend, that would be opportunity lost.

The photos posted are something many of us could live with but I'm sure LR will do better than that. I think...

• Like 1

Gents there are three instances of direct quoting in the article, albeit short. No, there's not much solid info on what it'll look like, but really who gives a ****. When I saw my first Defender I didn't think "that's awesome looking", I was just fairly sure it was a very capable vehicle.

So this is good enough for me:

The new Defender will be the most capable Land Rover ever built, according to Phil Popham, Jaguar Land Rover’s group marketing director.

Speaking at the recent Paris show, Popham said the long-awaited new model would have the biggest “breadth of capability” of any model to wear the Land Rover badge.

(So long as it doesn't look like a Ssang Yong)

sorry if this should be in defender section, i just thought it would apply to more than just defender owners.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-land-rover-defender-launch-2016

they seem to have upped their game a bit. if this is real of course. still not as nice looking as the dezyn smith concept but i do like it. still think the bonnet looks a little funny though.

thoughts? :stirthepot::popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

Thanks for sharing. Although I have to say I think the DC100 looked better.

Being honest, I rather liked the look of the DC100. I fully admit it would never be a utility vehicle. But that is where the divide is, do they want something utilitarian or something sports utility?

In the World market, the DC100 concept (so long as it was capable), would likely have faired well when compared to things like the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota FJ Cruiser and so forth.

If LR want to be competitive in the utility market, then it's a whole different ball game. For the home market, yes a true Defender replacement would suit well, but the wider market less so.