Mini Tech - 90 rear arch modification for greater clearances

I have a fair bit of flex on the 90 rear....enough that the simex catch on ful uplift and rip everything about !

I have already "Lifted" the wheel boxes, but the arches are still a problem, even tho the lips have been trimmed off and the arches reshaped

Sadly I am not a fan of the "Conveyor belt" look, and have been mussing as to options.

So, last couple of week have seen a plan come to be finished

In simple terms I have removed the rear arches, and reflared the "Lip" some 2 1/4 inches higher, this explains how, bear in mind I have a huge 3.25" exhaust

for the 5.2 so the rear finish arch on the passenger side sort of "incorporates" that lol

So, the do this.

Remove arch.

Now the arch goes all the way down to the sill strips, these were long gone on mine, and the arches trimmed accordingly, but with NEW arches (well new to me :D)

1st trim off the "Returns" on each end and the arch itself away leaving a flat arch with no lips.on the arch flare mark with a marker pen or tyre chalk, I used a angle grinder with thin slitting disk

Then, place the arch that is closest to the door either side in place and mark where the wing just starts to go into the curve, then "Lift" the arch so that the bottom

edge door side is at the bottom of the wing and draw around the lip of the arch, mine is lifted even more than this to give the 2.25" lift.

Now, remove arch. now draw a seciond line 1/2" below the drawn line, this is the fold line blend in to the existing arch at door end.

Trim the lower line with as I did angle grinder.

Now, folding the new lip is not as tricky as you might think, I simply G Clamped some 1/2 metal in place and hammer it over bit by bit and the result is the rear part

of the arch is far futher back giving both higher and wider clearances. Then its a fairly simple matter of fitting the arches back on and some trimming....

I am fairly happy with the results at 1st glance it does jump out at you but the cleanaces now are massive ! I may well trim more for looks but will see how things are off road 1st.

And heres the result :

Before :

post-22-0-31617000-1414704694_thumb.jpg

After :

post-22-0-78348400-1414703860_thumb.jpg post-22-0-29918700-1414703873_thumb.jpg

Chuffed !...thought it might be of interst

Nige