TD5 rough at higher revs....in all gears

Hi all first post /request ...I have a 2004 TD5 90 lowish miles 70K When accelerating through the gears it gets rough (vibrations from under floor and from motor) I tried to see if was transmission by freewheeling at 70 mph...no vibes! put it back into gear and lordy cabin full of noise...its fine up to 60...then up to 70 its noisy , droning, rough...makes you back off...if you stick with it you get past 70 and it gets quieter...but the stress of getting there makes me drive everywhere @ 65MPH not good as have 2 long journeys up the A30 / A303 a week!

Has been suggested that could be tyres ? or uj's but seems to be the engine thats rough...starts runs stops brilliant lots of go...just when you get to the top end of the rev range whole thing vibrates..???

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.....K

• 2 years later...

I think it's to do with cylinder balance/fuelling.

Our 2006 TD5 bought new was always rough if you revved it through the gears.

l bought a 2005 110 TD5 and it was rough over about 2500rpm. I had the ECU reset and software update at the LR main dealer and after that it was smooth as silk.

Then l got it remapped and the performace was much improved, but the rough engine was back.

l had it reset at Land Rover again, and it was smooth once more. Everything else has been checked and is OK. No fault codes stored.

I think you get good and bad ones. The missus has a 120,000 mile 2003 TD5 and that's really smooth....which is what made me realise just how rough my 110 was!