Gearbox overheating P38

Simon_CSK

I keep getting a message on my dash which warns that the gearbox is over heating. This is probably not an uncommon fault however when I get it the car has only just started or has only done a few yards so there is no possibility of overheating. Does anybody have ideas what is wrong before I hook it up to a computer?

... before I hook it up to a computer?

I'd suggest finding where the sensor is, then getting an eyeball and hands on experience.

A) You may not need the computer.

B) If you do decide you 'need' the computer, what you have experienced may resonate with the judgement displayed by the writer of the computer programme, all those years ago.

:-)

HTH

I'm afraid I was being a little oblique when I wrote

I'd suggest finding where the sensor is, then getting an eyeball and hands on experience.

I recalled, but did not double check, that the sensor was part of the oil cooler.

I've now double checked, and my recollection was correct.

Transmission fluid from the gearbox is circulated through a cooler located at the front of the radiator.
Fluid lines from the transmission are connected to each end tank of the fluid cooler. A temperature sensor on the LH end tank provides the instrument pack with an input of transmission fluid temperature. If the temperature exceeds between 120 and 130 °C (248 and 266°F). the instrument pack message centre displays 'GEARBOX OVRHEAT'. The message remains displayed until the temperature of the fluid returns to between 82 and 88 °C (180 and 190°F).

I'd suggest corrosion of the terminals or wiring could cause a resistance reading to be detected which would normally indicate a fault, if it was due to the sensor itself.

HTH

I'm afraid I was being a little oblique when I wrote

I recalled, but did not double check, that the sensor was part of the oil cooler.

I've now double checked, and my recollection was correct.

I'd suggest corrosion of the terminals or wiring could cause a resistance reading to be detected which would normally indicate a fault, if it was due to the sensor itself.

HTH

Cool

Thanks David I have three coolers s :huh: find one working sensor. Will need to sort the head gasket first though :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

Your battery is getting weak... Seriously. The p38 throws up all sorts of silly messages when the voltage gets just slightly low after starting, gearbox overheat is a favourite. If it doesn't come up with it while driving i would suggest you ignore it.

Your battery is getting weak... Seriously. The p38 throws up all sorts of silly messages when the voltage gets just slightly low after starting, gearbox overheat is a favourite. If it doesn't come up with it while driving i would suggest you ignore it.

Dave

That is very plausable. My battery has just fallen over. Am going to get the overheating sorted in the next couple of weeks so once I have had a chance to drive it again I will see if a new battery cures it