Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

You can use the same wires. The NB heater circuit now powers the controller, and the sensor output is from the controller. Put the controller away from heat and water.

If you disconnect the WB controller you should also remove the the WB sensor before running the motor. Don't leave it there unpowered.

MickeyW that's great news, will wait to hear from Zoltan first out of courtesy! :)

I had a look for my spare and it wasn't where I thought it would be, if MickeyW has his to hand go with that because I have a sneaking feeling mine may be back at my old house :(

Ok Zoltan well thanks for rummaging!

Would you mind having a look mickey please? :)

Geek, thanks for the info on that Wideband, all becomes clear!

I would only use the WB for short term tuning on the road so it wouldn't get into any bother. Will leave plenty of wire available for the lambda until I have decided what's best!

Cheers!

Hi all (inc Mr Noisey :P:rofl: )

I am really looking forward to this thread.

When Sam said what he was doing and was a "Forumer" and would do a Fitting post (Yes they have been done before I know) I was very very

pleased as seeing his other posts they are sort of pic heavy and info to support. He is doing a "How long to fit" on each "Stage" and a Good ...God I'm Lost

type feedback, as with anyone my help is a call away, but I desperately need just this sort of info :)

Its been a while now since I started up MSV8 Ltd, and in that time a huge amount of things have chnaged, been modified, and but options and new products

added to, my basis is still all thing Rover V8 and screw the other engines out there, hence why the kits are I try to make comprehensive and simple to fit.

Hmmm

Simple

A Simple to one person is different to another, but I strive to make each of the conponent jobs "Simple"

In the early days I got a call of near every customer with "It won't run" and a HUGE amount of these was trigger wheel positioning

I tried about 5 x differing A4 fitting guides, none worked, then a YOUTUBE Video = hardly a call.... as the video seems to be something peeps can grasp

I for one remember yonks back when I did my early install,.... trying to get my head around the USA Guide saying "You are the flywheel looking at the raaadiatooor"

with me at the radiator looking at the front of the engine with a naff print out of a naffer picture trying to turn it upside down and back to front to grasp and understand -

and yes ....my TW setting was massively wrong 1 2 3 4 5 & some efforts laters :lol: ...video= sorted

And thats why I am looking forward to this, in the nicest way I have deliberately done nothing different to any other customer I have had, no "Special Instrructions"

no "Extra help" deliberately .... I want to see how a non megasquirt customer with basic tools approaches the install, how long each of the "processes take"

and also where he (Sam) may get stuck.

I will then hide This will give me massively usefull feedback for the new install manual I am currenlty writing, in which I have included all kits

and all options and all flavours of V8 kit, so it is going to be good to see what Sam gives me in terms of Feedback that I can make things better for the next customer

and so on, whilst I have been doing this I think now a full rewrite is a great idea as I have so much that could be incorporated - but I need a gineau piggy "Hi Sam :P "

Oh and Mike, the "BLUE" boxes were cheap..... ferkin cheap, .....so cheap I had to buy, <cough> all 2400 of them :blink: (Christ)

I don't like the idea of "Shoving it all in a big box and shipping it" Kits,

what I do now is put 'bits' in these boxes, and then write on the front what they are, yes, it helps me make sure I don't miss anything, but also helps the customer I think not just having a "Tanker Spill" of bits out of a huge box, I have enough "Stock" of boxes to last me for Ferkinyonksxinfinity^3 ! but they are good for protection as I ship loads of stuff,

They were ordered by a company who deals with the chap I buy most of my packing stuff from, it was a special order, special colour and then 4 days after they came in he rang up and spoke to....... - the Administators :(

He really being a small business did wnat this issue - just wnated his money back from the order, the original order was 5000, he had spent 3 months selling drips

and drabs, I had two trips in the Bemmer to get them home and <cough again> they take up "Considerable space" and seem to breed - whatever I ship the pile seems

the same !!

Anyway, enough of this, ....good luck Sam,...... and look forward to updates and feedback Good and Bad so I can finalise the new Build Manual :D

GET ON WITH IT ...OH ....AND STOP BREAKING BITS OF YER F ENGINE YER MUPPET :P:rofl:

Love

Nige

Hi Nige :D

That was a long post! :P

Anyway:

715B4807-369F-492D-934F-FCEEFFC66025-7211-00000311FB302241.jpg

Started stripping the dash tonight after I finished opening up the inlet ports.

The way it is looking so far ill be incorporating a bit of a major rewire, all the bits and pieces I've added over the years, best bet whilst the dash is out is to get back to basics, group some earths together, get a decent fuse board sorted etc etc.

Safe to say the actual MS has nog started at all yet, might get some glimmer this weekend but it depends if my new valley gasket arrives tomorrow do I can replace the inlet mani, then I'LL NEED A PLENUM BASE! :D hint hint ;)

Then I can carry on, removing the old ECU and wiring, all the original ignition components, and open up the engine bay looms to check what they contain.

Gonna keep the MS loom separate but want to start on a clean sheet, make sure there's no old redundant wiring still fitted.

SO, gonna go home now and get an early night, still tired from 3am Wednesday night, hopefully get a decent weekend at it this weekend, remove dash, sort out my extra wiring, start considering MS!! :D :D

One thing I have wondered is that the Lucas loom is connected via a plug to the main loom and if I can buy these plugs do that a ms loom could Then be connected straight back onto the main loom ??

Nige

Posted from my iPhone

A device pretty much incompatible with the rest of the known universe and just hateful IT wise

Yeah interesting point Nige, tbh I don't think it's the case but could easily be, just supply and earth etc and then linked to the rest of the car through the relays.

OR I could be wrong!

Will find out this weekend anyway , and potentially take pics if its interesting!! :D

Right!

Today's progress saw the dash out, the Hotwire loom out, a few other bits and pieces and a general loom check/sort out, plus ripped out all the god forsaken sound deadening! Grrr!

Heater box came out and is staying out forever, going to fit a rally car type heater box piped direct to the screen demist.

Then the central part of the dash, now free from useless heater stuff will have a panel with 10 or 12 carling switches for all my auxiliary stuff!

Not just a Megasquirt build anymore!!! :o

Pics!

Dash out:

D680887D-95C9-489C-B251-5D6DB9689E6C-9148-0000041E36850F47.jpg

Here's the plug that joins the Hotwire loom from the main loom Nige! Can get you better pics if needed!

3625291A-9E54-4BBA-95E8-FBBCE8A4D1CF-9148-0000041E548C89E7.jpg

Heater out FOREVER!!! and column dropped:

661BB301-CB78-47CA-9C4E-30678E2782FB-9148-0000041E66E8B40D.jpg

Mess:

82C84BD8-1A35-4326-93CD-A26DE089DFE1-9148-0000041E6FA656C6.jpg

Hotwire loom, as fitted in car, ta daa!

CC8EAF7F-2971-48E4-80D8-7DAD3E661E12-9148-0000041E7BD48D82.jpg

Tomorrow?

Urn, coil out and double check everything is out that needs be, few brackets to tidy inside and deal with a touch of rust, then make a wiring plan, maybe even make some inroads into getting the first MS wires in! :)

9 holes in the connector, and the car side was the side in my hand, the other side the Hotwire side.

Annoyingly the wires changed colour from one side to the other. I did go through the Hotwire side colours and most of them, if not all, made sense!

Cheers!

You have laugh at Lucas when wires change colour each side of a plug connector !! :rofl:

Land Rover probably didn't have some of the Lucas colours in stock so they just used what they had on the roll. Half the colours I have looked at today are not what they say in the Haynes Book of Lies!

This makes me laugh:

352EEA0C-C7E9-46C1-BA25-04B3C01E787E-11109-0000054C3701C0A5.jpg

:D

Anyway, today, decent progress made but nothing much to look at.

Tidied my loom, removed more stuff, taped stuff up etc, put the column back in and ADDED MY FIRST MS SPECIFIC WIRES!! :)

Fitted battery supply and earth, switched supply and picked up the fuel pump feed and extended it to the new ECU position:

E2E31BF4-1C30-40FF-88ED-7AF87A49CF94-11109-00000546A3E2302F.jpg

Otherwise, I'm building this switch panel for the centre of the dash so I redirected my auxiliary circuit wiring down there.

This is the result after today's 6 hours! Lol, looks the same! :D

C46B9E77-B432-41AF-8098-6F4AFA9254D3-11109-00000546B1E66A8A.jpg

Cheers! :D

Land Rover probably didn't have some of the Lucas colours in stock so they just used what they had on the roll. Half the colours I have looked at today are not what they say in the Haynes Book of Lies!

This makes me laugh:

352EEA0C-C7E9-46C1-BA25-04B3C01E787E-11109-0000054C3701C0A5.jpg

:D

Tum de tum - do try to keep up sam :P:

http://www.facebook....&type=1

:rofl: I have to make some more for Christams presents ordered by mad customers :P

Nige