Unusual Land Rover Engine Transplants

What's the most unusual Land Rover engine transplant you've ever seen, or heard of?

Apparently there is a Land Rover round my way with a V8 diesel engine from a combine harvester transplanted into it! I've yet to see it though.

I know this thread has great potential for being a spectacular flop, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway!

:D

Way back in the mid 1950's before Rover developed their own ''in house ''deisel option, there was a conversion that employed Turner 2 stroke Deisel engines in both 2 and 3 cylinder configurations.

Bill.

I did hear of a 2 stroke Rootes/Commer TS3 engine being put in a Range Rover. Never saw it though. I have one in a lorry and it is a lively, great sounding engine. When I had a measure up it seemed a little too wide for the chassis rails. I have seen pictures of the same engine fitted to a Morgan style car.

There is a (very) long running thread on Difflock with a Jaguar V12 transplant into a 110. Still not finished last time it was posted. Anyone heard anymore?

About 8-10 years ago there was a Hybrid 90 thing with a V12 jag in it at Billing. They had to make the truck 6" wider to fit it in. And the whole front Bonnet and wings folded forward as one to get to the engine

Ah yes and i forgot the dreaded 5cyl turbo volvo/vw lt whatsit engine fitted to a 90 my ex gf got from the uk!!! arrrrrrgh what a nightmare, sure it was a bargain!!! in fact the engine nearly fell out of the engine bay one time, mounts got ripped out of the block!!!!

Grem

I forgot all about that ongoing V12 project that was on Difflock. I'd like to hear one of those two-stroke TS3 engines. Someone was telling me about those and said they sounded really good, but I've yet to hear one.

:)

I did hear of a 2 stroke Rootes/Commer TS3 engine being put in a Range Rover. Never saw it though. I have one in a lorry and it is a lively, great sounding engine. When I had a measure up it seemed a little too wide for the chassis rails. I have seen pictures of the same engine fitted to a Morgan style car.

The only Rootes/Commer 2 stroke engines I have ever seen were physically huge and used over here in the 1960's and 70's on 32 ton GVW articulated interstate transports and high speed (74 mph) 8 ton overnight express vans. they were 3 cylinder engines with 6 opposed pistons totaling about 3.7 litres capacity but were supercharged and developed around 150 bhp.Because they only had 3 cylinders the RAC rating for taxable horsepower was only 13 horsepower instead of 26 which would have been the case for a 6 cylinder engine of the same bore and stroke. They did indeed sound great from the outside, but if you had to ride in the cab for 20 odd hours at a stretch as I often did between Melbourne and Sydney in the 1960's the sound got old very quickly. I used to think they sounded a lot like the General Motors Detroit deisels which were also supercharged 2 strokes. Anyway, much to big, heavy and complicated for a LandRover.

Bill.

I had (briefly) a 101 with a jag IL6 in it. 4.7 diffs as well. Scarey so I sold it

Also had a LTWT with a Chev350 in - bought it for the engine to go in my old 'Lux

There was a LTWT around the Bath area back in the late 80's with a Courteney Turbos Twin Turbo 2.8V6 in it - went quick and stopped slow

Mine was an early (70's) jag engine and used my own adapter to mate it direct to the series gbox. Crank bored out to take a LR spigot bush and one 'ear' of the ali sump cut off and plated over to clear the prop.

Looked great in the engine bay but it was really too long with very little clearance between axle and the small well in the sump for the timing chain drive on full compression.

I remember an LRW article on a V12-powered 109 years back, 1997? Apart from the engine, I also remember it was painted with dark green anti-climb paint too so it looked like it'd been pebbledashed.

Dad - where did the 4.7 ratio 101 axles come from? Such a thing could be a handy source of low-geared unbreakable axles - If Bathtub can't smash 'em, nobody can.

• 2 years later...

strange engine transplants, i was the first to susfully instal a jag v12 engine if i am correct, the first time it was done was about 1992/3 it used a 4 carb jag v12 with auto gearbox with a very short propshaft to a modified s111 transfer box with a overdrive fitted to that. the second v12 i did was a injected v12 coupled to a range rover gear box using a conversion plate. if you look through some old land rover mags you might find a photo and a little write up done by Bill Jones who first photoed it at mamby many years ago. Both conversions were used on the road and were great fun !! :Dpost-18015-126917120772_thumb.jpg

I'm working on an Audi 4.2L V8 into a 90 at the moment.

The closest i've had the two together so far is this:

http://www.lr90.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=166&g2_serialNumber=2

Couldnt get it sitting any lower due to the TD5 engine mountings, which are now gone. I need to order some new gearbox mounts, then i'm going to have another trial fit in a few weeks, but i'm confident it will go.

I need to buy a flywheel, then i can have a proper measure up for an adaptor plate.

Apparently there is a Land Rover round my way with a V8 diesel engine from a combine harvester transplanted into it! I've yet to see it though.

The Merc OM422 is quite compact for a diesel V8, maybe the one in use?

If anyone's interested, I know where there's a nice engine available. Ford BOA engine, ProSport F3000 girdled bottom end, 3.2ltr 24v V6, running Turbo Technics twin turbo kit, Eaton M90 charger and nitrous kit. It was built and run in a drag car. It was a 4.0ltr, but it's now been sleeved down for better reliability.

The guy's only selling as he went V8, but he's now got a Wessex helicopter engine for his car !

I'm sure Steve Parker will have an adapter plate for an LT77 :) :) :)