HELP 1986 200Tdi gas [petrol] in diesel

My wife bought a 1986 d90 200tdi, its was running well until she filled the tank with diesel. Now the bad part she kept her receipt and she did in fact put diesel in but the station had gasoline in the diesel (truck put wrong fuel in storage tank) now for the problem she drove in about a mile to the house and it started running very rough. after draining the fuel filter and smelling gas I drained the tank sure enough it was gas, so I changed the filter added new good diesel but have yet to get is running smooth, I have bleed the filter, and have tried to bleed the fuel lines to injectors still no power any ides what I need to drain or bleed? This problem was reported to the station and they blew it off.

John

Did you keep what you drained from the tank? If you have proof that you filled up with what you believed was the correct fuel and yet got the wrong they can't shrug it off. How many other people have got damaged cars as a result?

Your receipt will be billed for the appropriate fuel pump and have the price per litre/gallon marked on it...this will verify what pump you drew from. Was it 5 gallons from empty or 5 just to top up? It must have had enough diesel to support combustion or it would have just died a painful death (hydro locked but with petrol not water)

As for running rough...it's a tdi.. It's meant to be rough. Is it still smoking when running? May be worthwhile adding a fuel treatment, check the oil too, if there's been enough petrol it may have washed the bores and contaminated it. It's hard to say what other damage may have happened as it severely reduces lubrication through the injector pump components etc.

Apart from being a pain to drain it off etc,I wouldn't be worried.Many years ago my wife did the same thing to our 200TDI RRC and drove 12 miles home....(Made lots of white smoke and ran rough as a chaffcutter ! ) it had about 170,000m on it then,its now covered 232,000. The engine has had nothing done to it,even the injectors have never been serviced.

• 2 weeks later...

non common rail diesels will handle quite a high petrol mix , without any real damage , fill it with diesel and just let it run untill it gets back to normal , seeing as you have drained it and bled it . It was a winter fix to put 1 gallon of petrol in with 5 of diesel , with series landrovers to stop em waxing (before they started winter blend diesel). HTSH Where are you located ?

Where in Ontario? (given that it is 19h to drive across)... I'm in Ottawa, if you're nearby we could add B100 which would put the lubrication back that you lost when the petrol was added which will correct the running, we could also do a flush with it easily enough.

I'd suggest adding a slosh of oil [cheap mineral-based 2-stroke is good] to your fuel to provide a bit of extra lubrication to the injection pump while the last vestiges of the petrol-diluted fuel work their way through.

That's what the Deere guy told us to do after he'd handled the mis-fuel on our Gator some years back. Modern Diesel's low on injector-pump-lubrication ability even before it's diluted with petrol.