newbie...advice pls x

pinkfish24

Hi guys, I've recently bought a disco 1... Its in pretty good condition, the only problems i have with it is during a recent trip to devon we discovered the top pipe is leaking, its corroded and needs replacing , i had a mechanic tighten it up with a jubilee clip but I've now noticed a little water leaking from somewhere underneath. So basically i take it all the water pipes need replacing.

My question would be, where is the best place to get these from and is it an easy job to do yourself? If not, does anyone have any idea what a decent garage would charge?

I live in heston , nr heathrow.

Also my fan is extremly loud...and if i have it up high it actually vibrates the car!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Tara x

Not sure I understand what is corroded - the radiator hoses are all rubber, unless you mean perished not corroded?

You really need to sort any visible coolant leak quickly as any water loss is bad news and the engine will overheat once the level drops and possibly cause irreparable damage.

Replacing just the rubber hoses is not a huge job in itself but you may have other issues with leaks (water pump gasket etc) which can be easy or can be a **^*&^*^* job - if you are not sure what you are doing then I'd be inclined to get the leak(s) checked out by somebody experienced as if you miss something else leaking it could be expensive.

My guess is that you mean the steel pipe that passes over the top of the cylinder head and supplies hot water to the heater, it's easily replaced with a 17mm open ended spanner for the two brackets and a screw-driver for the two connecting hoses. These hoses will more than likely be fused onto the steel pipe and take a bit of persuading to come off, smear a tiny amount of vaceline on the new pipe when replacing the hoses - they will slip on easier as a result.

The fan also comes off quite easily, but you need to remove the glove box and the cover below it for access, the gove box is removed by undoing four bolts that holf the hinges, use a 8mm spanner, the cover below will need a fork tool to pull out the plastic clips, the rear one at the very back underside screws out. Again, my guess is that you will have some debris inside the fan housing, that or the sealing "O" ring has come adrift, I've experienced both and the result is an awfull clatter when the fan is running. The fan is held into the housing by 3 small bolts - again use an 8mm spanner and undo the wiring harness fitting.

Welcome to the Land of Land Rover ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Could be but first replace the thermostat, if its not working there wont be any water flow, also ensure that you dont have an air lock. If all this is okay then replace the water pump, just a thought does your LR have the original mechanical cooling fan or a retro electric fan ?

If it's a 300Tdi ( one drive belt on the front of the engine ) it's likely that you have an airlock in the water system . There is a very specific way to re-fill the coolant to avoid airlocks .

With a cold system remove the bungs from the thermostat and rad and the header tank cap . Fill rad til full , replace bung . Fill header tank to half way , replace cap , then fill thermostat until full and replace bung

hope that helps

Steveb