Thinking about an L322

reb78

I've been pondering selling the D2 and BMW and getting an L322 range rover instead. How easy are these to work on at home? Can you get diagnostics kit for them at a reasonable price? Are they reasonably reliable? What should I look out for when looking at them?

I suspect I'd look at diesels from an economy point of view and I'm not sure my budget would stretch beyond 2006ish looking at the prices on autotrader.

Yes to all of your questions. :)

They are not really any more complex than any other modern car. Although they do have TCS/HDC and air suspension. But as a rule I think they are pretty stout.

The TD6 is ok performing compared to a Td5 D2, but under powered compared to the wider market place. The gearbox LR used on the TD6 also can't handle the stock torque rating. So all TD6's will suffer gearbox failure. And it's a matter of when, not if. Even if it's had a rebuild. A remapped TD6 will go a lot better than stock (still not as well as a V8 one), but obviously puts the gearbox at more risk.

The BMW 4.4 V8's ones don't suffer this as they use a different gearbox.

I know the allure of better mpg says diesel is better. But if you aren't going to do huge miles in it, it's worth considering the V8. You'll get higher spec too as a rule.

I have found the lower price end most are all high milers though.

Early L322's don't have terrain response, but do have fancy TCS/HDC systems. The early ones also come on 18" rims, which offer more AT and MT tyre choices. When the Jag engines where introduced they moved upto 19" and different front brakes which mean the 18's won't fit.

Looking around the garages I've bought from before, I noticed this

http://www.tittyhomotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/land-rover-range-rover-3-6-tdv8-vogue-4dr-auto-raunds-201409027055977

This would have the better gearbox wouldn't it?

Is it asking for trouble at that mileage or are there many more miles under the bonnet? I realise service history will dictate some of this.

I did a double take on that weblink reb78 before clicking :moglite:

requires think carefully about before choosing url's eg www. pen island .com :hysterical: i was wondering what a torcompany was?

Haha. The garage is on titty ho road, hence the name. Always makes me laugh though.

Excellent, we do have a "Lickey End", not too far away by M42 J1. Still nuff of that, back on topic....... I see you had considered a TDV8, hopefully most of the earlier TDV6 gearbox probs have been sorted, and it goes like stink loads of torque and fair fuel economy. I'd have one if i could justify it. ^_^

The early BMW variant had a nasty sat nav/sound system. The later 04/05 on went over to much nicer touch screen kit you can get the mapdiscs for etc. as its shared with RRsport and Disco.

Still thinking and having a read on these.

What are the major jobs you'd have to consider on these? Is there much that would be dealer/garage only? Are these body off for any jobs like turbos or are they easier to work on than the D3/D4??

I'm not too bothered about nav options as most manufacturer fitted systems I've ever seen have been pretty clunky and naff compared to google nav!

On the 2004> RR the nav was included anyway as it integrates into all the other systems*, so was just saying avoid the earlier BMW/siemens offering.

*spec varies E.g Sat nav, tmc (traffic message channel), radio, terrain visuals, setting the fuel burning heater timer, bluetooth phone, cd/dvd changer, t.v tuner, reverse parking camera, The maps are upgradeable and different countries can be swapped. Can't quite see from Dr Robs link but you can have a screen in each of the front seat head rests to keep the kids happy in the back with a dvd on controlled from the front console. There was an option of rear seat wireless headphones on the high line and harmon kardon sound system with amp/subs.

Not sure about big jobs, i would expect similar to d3/d4, especially the exhaust route looks similar. routine servicing and brakes should be doable. However as with anything new ish with complication. it's going to need a diag computer, 50 ton press or an overdraft every now and then.

I'm not too bothered about nav options as most manufacturer fitted systems I've ever seen have been pretty clunky and naff compared to google nav!

I thought that until I had one! It's pretty good compared with any other sat-nav.

Si

I have had an 03 4.4 V8 for 3 years now and my Dad has had his 52 plate TD6 for 7 years. V8 has done just over 100k, TD6 just over 70k

I have done discs and pads on both cars all round. Anti roll bar drop links have been done on both as well. These are just normal service items and were easy to do. The compressor kept coming up with faults on mine which I traced to a worn compressor piston ring (half an hours work and came to £10 from eBay!). I admit I do have a Snap on Modis to read the codes and clear faults but I'm sure a lot of other cheaper code readers would be able to do this too.

Mine has had problems with water ingress to the boot whcih damaged the expensive DSP AMP so look out for water in the spare wheel well. No sign of this on the TD6

The TD6 gearbox failed at 60k. Was rebuilt by a company in Sudbury who explained that uprated parts in the rebuilt box should stop it ever being a problem again. i know of a few TD6's with recon boxes but know of none that have failed again - not saying it does not happen though.

TD6 Mpg around 22 mpg, V8 mpg around 17. Dad's feels like a tractor to drive after driving mine - TD6 is 170bhp and V8 is 286bhp so lots of difference. TD6 will however do nearly 30 on a run taking it easy. V8 will never get to 22mpg in my experience. Having said that I have towed trailers weighing over a ton and still managed just over 18mpg on a run and not hanging about.

Servicing on both is easy. Just remember to change the breather filter at the top of the engine in the TD6.

They really are no more complicated (other than Air suspension) than a BMW of the same age. In fact my 1996 E39 which shares the same basic engine as my RR has very similar electronic systems. The 02 Range Rover was not as cutting edge as they might have liked you to think!!

Hopefully some of that helps!