TD5 Clutch

treebloke

Bob , 110 Newton meters .

They are called Dual mass flywheels , DMF for short , and yes they can be expencive , but I think youcan by them as a set with the clutch for a cheaper price .

Get a quality make such as Valeo , LUK , and as a matter of course I replace the bolts as well.

;)

Bob , 110 Newton meters .

They are called Dual mass flywheels , DMF for short , and yes they can be expencive , but I think youcan by them as a set with the clutch for a cheaper price .

Get a quality make such as Valeo , LUK , and as a matter of course I replace the bolts as well.

;)

Cheers Jase

We have just put a new clutch in the Unimog (now that is expensive) and the bolts on the flywheel for that are stretch bolts so I did ask them when I bought the flywheel but they said its ok to re-use them on the td5.

We will change the oil seal behind the flywheel, thats a tricky little bugger innit. Had a problem on the 300 tdi last time, just could'nt get it to go on right.

isnt the seal a bolt on unit on the td5s ?

Yes it is but it has two little holes in the base of the casting and you have to undo the sump bolts and drop the sump by approx 2 cms to get it over the crank case gasket, put the crank seal in place then tighten up the sump. Thats how we did it, dunno if everyone else does it that way.

What we should have done while we had the sump lose was take it off and put some lock tight on the five grand bolt, but time was against us so maybe over xmas.

We took the seat box out to gain access to the gearbox which is what we have always done with the 300 tdi but there are wires and cables everywhere on a td5, a right pain in the ass.

One thing we did learn was if you put a rachet strap under the gearbox, out through the doors and over the roof then attach the ends onto each other its perfect for winching up the box and quite easy to slide it all forward onto the engine. Much easier than messing about with jacks.

• 11 months later...

12 months on and I have a vibration, at first I thought it was the tyres or maybe a UJ but now I am thinking it might be the DMF because when you depress the clutch pedal, the vibration goes and with the cover off the battery box I can hear it coming from around the gearbox area.

Anyone else had DMF vibration.

12 months on and I have a vibration, at first I thought it was the tyres or maybe a UJ but now I am thinking it might be the DMF because when you depress the clutch pedal, the vibration goes and with the cover off the battery box I can hear it coming from around the gearbox area.

Anyone else had DMF vibration.

I have never felt a DMF vibration on a Td5, but i have felt it on other cars and its quite often accompanied by a rattle or metallic knock! I find it hard to think that i could of failed in one year!

Ive never been a fan of DMF's so if it was me i would get a sprung centre clutch plate and fit a solid flywheel and do away with the dual mass system completely :):)

bob, i was reading on another forum the other day about these, apparently rakeway motorsport do them but they were expensive!

Ian

I was wondering about this too - my clutch is well on it's way. The DMF seems a dumb idea to me!

Is there not a flywheel from another engine which can be fitted - perhaps with a little machining?

Si

Birtpart do a DMF replacement with clutch for about £350

Rakeway do a replacement with cluitch for £1000

Or you can purchase a new DMF for about £150-200

That seems a lot! I wonder is a 200 or 300tdi clutch plate is the same diameter? Could one just re-machine the centre to attach properly to the end of the crank?

Si

That seems a lot! I wonder is a 200 or 300tdi clutch plate is the same diameter? Could one just re-machine the centre to attach properly to the end of the crank?

Si

I have been to pick up the new clutch and none MFI flywheel (sorry Dual Mass) £350, for the lot. The thrust bearing has a longer shaft because the new flywheel is thinner than the DM.

I have an old 300 tdi in the yard, I will compare them before I fit it.

The vibration could be the spigot bearing - they are well known for wearing out. The last TD5 clutch I did, it just fell out. DMF's usually knock or seperate.

Les.

Did a forum search on spigot bearings and the only one that came up as this one :huh: .

I guess either way its the gearbox out. Is it a DIY job or would it have to go to somone like ashcroft.

On the last one I did, the bearing just fell out. The bearing is recessed a bit - the same as it is on any engine. They are generally awkward buggers to get out though and you usually have to break them up to get them out, so a sharp chisel/screwdriver will be needed

Les.