coolant leak

changread

Hi All

my 2004 discovery 2 v8 drops a puddle of coolant every now and again. the car has done 65k miles and has a full landrover service history, main dealer every 12k mls. and is in mint condition. the coolant header tank level goes up and down depending on hot or cold engine, temp.. i can't see where it's coming from but thinking it's the water pump ? any ideas?

Redards Mike

Do you actually get a pool of coolant as in coloured liquid or is it clear liquid if clear then it will be the Air Con condensatio overflow

& as Teabag says the water level in the header tank will go up & down depending how hot or cold the engine temp is the best time to check the coolant level is when stone cold before starting the engine

• 1 month later...

HI I'm back after replacing the heder tank cap and topping up it just seems to 3/4 empty the header tank out of the overflow after a few miles and apart from a few drops onto the floor of coolent nothing changes, every few hundred miles i check and all is the same. 1/4 amount of coolent in the header tank.No overheating tempture completly normal.

has anybody experianced this?

Oh Dear. First of all the header tank should be 1/2 full or 1/2 empty if you like, the cold coolent level is around the halfway seam of the tank.

Again you have a closed circuit cooling system, there's no overflow as such, any excess of coolent in the header tank will be released via the valve in the header tanks cap.

Sort out the leak you have and see what happens, we assume yo have the standard header tank fitted and remember it's only a reservoir and the coolent will adjust to the correct level if overfilled.

Just found a leaky pipe on mine. The pipe that comes off the bottom of the expansion tank and goes to the fuel cooler "wore through" by rubbing about half way along. Played with the pipe looking for the leak and it crumbled (very brittle). New pipe ordered but patched together with a washing machine hose!!

Dave

HI I'm back after replacing the heder tank cap and topping up it just seems to 3/4 empty the header tank out of the overflow after a few miles and apart from a few drops onto the floor of coolent nothing changes, every few hundred miles i check and all is the same. 1/4 amount of coolent in the header tank.No overheating tempture completly normal.

has anybody experianced this?

Please just confirm that for more than 100 miles the level never drops below 1/4?

Could be that it runs this way, I had a Komatsu digger that did the same, expansion tank was always lower than the minimum mark and if you topped it up it just spat it out, just the way it was and it went on for over 14,000 hrs of service like that too!! But as I do not know intimately the header tank of a D2, I cant say as I know whether or not it actually drains right out the bottom of the tank or if the pipe to the rad is higher than the bottom of the tank?

I would suspect a leak, but from where I don't know?

• 1 month later...

Hi All thanks for all your help but moving on the headder tank now emptys about a ltr in 4 miles OMG.

It's not in the oil, it's not leaked out, only one thing head gaskets!

Now next thing what sort of job is it to replace the head gaskets on a D2 V8?