Tyres question again

LR NUT

Hi sorry but I know this has been converted vastly!!!! I have always known that tyres on any freelander 1 should be changed as axel sets and new tyres or tyres with the most tread are to be placed on the rears. Currently my front tyres are a different brand to the rears but they are the same size and aspect ratio, is it fine to do this the car drives fine with no vibrations but just wanted to see if I won't be causing any damaged that I'm not aware off! When I need front tyres I will be replacing all four with the same brand.

Thanks in advance

I'm facing the same dilemma myself! Just because tyres are the same size/aspect ratio doesn't necessarily mean they have the same actual circumference. I would suggest you jack up one front corner, run a piece of string round the centre of the tread, then do the same at a rear corner, and compare.

If it turns out the fronts are bigger than the rears, just swap them round.

The whole thing about new tyres on the rear applies mostly to early Freelanders, before 2001MY. On early ones the rear wheels were driven at 80% of the speed of the front wheels. For 2001, the ratio in the IRD box was changed so that they are driven at almost the same speed. Just make sure that your VCU is operating correctly by doing the tipex test. If it's operating correctly then a small variation in the rolling radius will have no detrimental effect. Just make sure that the tyres are the same size all round.

• 3 years later...