freelander 2 2001 td4, noisy fuel pump

tiddy305

Hi, I have a 2001 Freelander td4, manual with 90000 miles. I have a noise coming from the fuel pump or fuel filter in the nearside of the engine bay. You can hear and feel it vibrating when the ignition is on, I think it's still audible when the engine is on too, but I'm not too sure. I haven't noticed a drop in performance or fuel economy, but it;s pretty loud.I have had a full service recently including the crankcase breather, but not the fuel filter. I had the vehicle off my father and it has never been raced, however I did notice that it felt a bit restricted at about 3000 revs in 3rd. Any ideas please.

I'd avoid messing with the tank unless you have to, the in-tank pumps are (apparently) rather pricey. According to the RAVE manual there's no in-tank filter, it might be just the petrol ones that had those (and it's not a fun job if memory serves).