Freelander2 2010/11

Chris H

Hello Group

i would appeciate your opinion.

My freelander1 Serengeti td4 2003, (owned for 8years) is not getting

any yonger (like me) so i am thinking of getting a MK2.

I have spent quite a lot of time checking the differance between the two types

(mk1/2) and have come to the decision that they are really differant vehicles

that use the same name (Freelander)

My main concerns are............

Terain Response

CBC

DSC

RSC

these electronic gizmoes are good, i am not doubting them, but i am cocerned

that if they go wrong, what the cost will be to repair, as i guess they are all

electronic and would probably require the Landrover type diagnostic equipment

to find the fault/s. Am i right to view these as inpending problems? or am i worrying

for no reason, bearing in mind that if i am not able to repair myself, my local LR

dealer are charging £70 plus per hour

I am looking for a MK2 around 35/40k miles

What can you tell me. Regards Chris H (Dover Kent)

I have a 2010 model with none of these gizmos, and can honestly say I don't miss them. Of course it's got traction control and ABS and for normal use that's all you need. Yes, the FL2 is a totally different car from the FL1 - not least because of the extra power output. Towing a caravan (if you're into that) is a joy, not a struggle. The Haldex rear drive system is superb and pretty reliable from 2010 onwards (not so the earlier ones). You'll find a forum dedicated to the FL2 here:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/

Tim

thanks for info, all understood, am i right in thinking that there was/is a facelift model 2010/Sept onwards which

included the all terain gizmo's (rotary nob in front of gearstick) .......Also better fuel emision's (Tax £180 not £240).

I ask this because i am sure that the bigger emision users, will probably find that their road tax will continue to

climb with time, thanks to the goverments increaseing TAX requirements.

So if i want a FR2 no "gizmoe's) it would be prior to 2010/sept, ( i would probably go for a GS.model) Hope that

makes Sense ?.

Chris H.

I'm afraid I'm not at all up-to-date on what the changes were, other than that they de-tuned the standard engine to 150hp (it was 158) and offered a 190hp version at vastly more cost. In fact, you can achieve the same power with the 158hp engine with a relatively cheap engine re-map, which is what I plan to do before summer comes. The other forum will give you everything you need to know, plus a lot more!