P38 - ABS, Hand Brake, TC light come on when i press the brake pedal

zim

Hi,

So what's wrong with my p38 ?

When i press my brake pedal the traction control, handbrake and abs light come on for about a second then go out.

From searching google i've found :

On the P38 pressing your brake pedal suddenly,will activate your ABS,TC and handbrake lights.When you release the pedal the lights goes off.This is not a fault,as no faultcodes get stored,but a way to tell you the pressure in the accumulator is getting low.Its that round black unit on top of your ABS pump with the yellow warning sticker on it.This is a service replacement part from Land Rover.

I've got new fluid and brake pads.

Is this the case, or are there other possibilities ?

Thanks

Gordon

Just to hijack this thread - it is related ;)

How do you change the accumulator? I've already acquired a new one and O ring and I have read the procedure from the workshop manual, but want to know how you physically fit it.

It looks to be sealed (seems sensible given it's pressure ;)) but there doesn't seem to be any thread etc.

The reason I ask is that I've heard that if you swiftly change it out you don't have to bleed the system.

Thanks

Steve

Why haven't you accepted the response you found originally via Google, that the accumulator needs changing?

if it's that which is at fault, then i'll be happy as it looks like an easy job to swap. but there were other answers i found on google including - change abs pump, change abs sensors, ecu fault etc. but the accumulator seemed to come up a couple times. also, when looking on google, i'm relying on people posting who i don't 'know' as such. i may not know many people on this site personally, but over the last couple years from the amount of time spent reading i can sort of tell who is knowledgable and who is just a 'keyboard' mechanic.

i hope this makes sense ?

steveg - there is an excellant review on rangerovers.net for changing it : http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/braketc/accumulator.html

The above site proves my point about who you can trust, the amount of information on there is phenominal and goes into great detail, so in my mind, i don't mind trusting them about things...But there is no mention of my lights popping up :(

Regards

Gordon

I've never done the job, but isn't it simply a threaded fitting? So a small chain or strap wrench around the accumulator body should give you enough leverage to unscrew it.

Anything that stands over a thousand psi (80 bar) will stand the stress of a chain wrench.

Re RangeRovers.net, mention of things like lights flashing on are probably more common in Forum postings than in the main site.

When I read your fault description I didn't immediately think 'accumulator', but when that was offered as a solution it rang bells with me, so I'd be happy to accept that if it was my car playing up.

HTH

I've never done the job, but isn't it simply a threaded fitting? So a small chain or strap wrench around the accumulator body should give you enough leverage to unscrew it.

Anything that stands over a thousand psi (80 bar) will stand the stress of a chain wrench.

Re RangeRovers.net, mention of things like lights flashing on are probably more common in Forum postings than in the main site.

When I read your fault description I didn't immediately think 'accumulator', but when that was offered as a solution it rang bells with me, so I'd be happy to accept that if it was my car playing up.

HTH

i've never used that forum. that is full of info as well :) done some reading, and i'll be ordering an accumulator now :)

G

• 2 months later...