Caster correction balls @Paddock Spares

Is that £160 each? Jeez ! Considering they do standard replacement swivels plus a kit of seals and bearings for £60 a side, I'd say that was a rip off.

It's only a standard ball with the holes in a different place, so the only extra cost is altering the programme on the CNC machine they are invariably made on.

Isn't the correct name the challis?

I think that it might be:

chalice –noun: a drinking cup or goblet.

that you are thinking of (from the shape when stood on the bench which resembles a goblet) rather than:

challis –noun: a soft fabric of plain weave in wool, cotton, rayon, or other staple fiber, either in a solid color or, more often, a small print.

;)

Is 'chalice' the accepted colloquial term? I wouldn't know, I have only ever heard it called a 'chalice' by Mark Williams, my workshop manual refers to it as a 'swivel pin housing' and personally I like the term 'chrome balls' even though they are now Teflon coated.... :)

• 6 months later...

The Caster correction balls is no longer available from Paddock spares.

I just ordered a pair today and they phoned me saying that they are no longer available.

I asked why, but they "didn't knew"...

Anyone that has a pair for sale or know anybody else that is selling caster correction balls?

Maybe someone has done it yourself?

:(:unsure:

I have some of the Tomcat castor corrected balls. Work fine, steering self centers well with 2" lift and 35" simex. Teflon coated though. One has some corrosion where a rock has caught it.... I would use them again if they were available and I needed a pair.

Adrian

The Caster correction balls is no longer available from Paddock spares.

I just ordered a pair today and they phoned me saying that they are no longer available.

I asked why, but they "didn't knew"...

Anyone that has a pair for sale or know anybody else that is selling caster correction balls?

Maybe someone has done it yourself?

:(:unsure:

I vaguely seem to remember tomcat motorsports doing them? Theire website is being updated. Maybe worth a call?

Not sure your reasons for doing this though. Most people seem to fit castor correction radius arms.

Cheers.

If I've thought this out correctly, castor corrected (and cranked?) radius arms are designed to relieve the strain on the chassis bushes when using longer springs AND correct the castor angle at the same time. This also makes the propshaft UJ angles less favourable.

If one was to use corrected swivel balls, the castor angle would be adjusted without adding strain on the UJs. However you would not be easing the strain on the chassis bushes, which at the end of the day are one of the things that restrict axle flex.

So me thinks best solution would be to use corrected swivel balls AND cranked radius arms WITHOUT any castor angle correction built in.

Open for comments... and taking shelter from those who know better :unsure:

Isn't the correct name the challis?

I believe the correct name is Golden challis or at least thets what they are known as here in Land-Rover Transmissions.

It is worth looking at your front shock at standard ride hieght, check they are not to close to the front of the chassis also check the angle of the bottom spring plate as you may be adversely effecting your spring this shouldn't be a problem with just a 2" lift. If there is a problem with the spring plate and shock I would suggest you would be better of with castor correction arms and new wide angle prop.

I have placed a new order at paddockspares that includes standard swivell housings. Weld holes and drill new ones. Will use the "foot/flange" of and old swivel housing to match upp the correct bolt pattern and rotate it 3 degree's.

:-)