Swapped fixed for folding mirrors anyone ?

windnwaves

Hi Thanks for taking the time to read this...

Just bought a V plate Freelander 5 door in need of a o/s door mirror glass..

I understand that you can or should be able swap the normal fixed version mirror assembly for a folding version I would rather do that if poss..

The local official dealers say they haven't done this swap as they replace like for like and don't know if it will work as they were only fitted to later models...

Has anyone reading this question actually swapped the fixed mirrors for folding on a earlier model i.e around 1999/2000.

If so did it need any major mods or just a little tweek here and there. No probs with some minor "Bodging" if required but I don't want to order the mirror without knowing if it will fit as its around £98 inc vat (Ouch!)

Any help appreciated as I don't want to buy a replacement mirror glass for the current mirror assembly at around £20 if a full unit will go on.

Comments and help much appreciated.

Phil

Fairly common mod amongst the Freelander Club fraternity.

Only thing that needs to be done is to open out one of the mounting holes slightly.

You can even go the whole hog and fit the electric ones too!

Just to be able to fold them in would be good... I assume that by electric ones, you mean some that fold when you turn ignition off ?. I didn't know that they did them or are they just a option on the FL 2 ? I guess they must use some addition wiring not in the standard harness.

Any comments appreciated as whilst I don't want to get carried away with spending on the Freelander I do want to only do things once !!

Cheers Phil

Just to be able to fold them in would be good... I assume that by electric ones, you mean some that fold when you turn ignition off ?. I didn't know that they did them or are they just a option on the FL 2 ? I guess they must use some addition wiring not in the standard harness.

Any comments appreciated as whilst I don't want to get carried away with spending on the Freelander I do want to only do things once !!

Cheers Phil

electric mirrors at FL I = you can adjust mirrors' position using electric controls, plus they're heated (by the way, it's the only car I know with the mirrors heated all the time... strange)

electric mirrors at FL I = you can adjust mirrors' position using electric controls, plus they're heated (by the way, it's the only car I know with the mirrors heated all the time... strange)

Just as a matter of interest, were there any very basic mirrors fitted to the Freelander i.e manual mirror glass positioning and no heating element ?

The ones on mine are electric adjustment for mirror angle etc, heated ( I saw the connections when the back FELL OFF ! ) but not able to fold in...

I just wondered how many variations there are.... All I need is electric adjustment, heated but fully foldable..

Thanks

Phil

There are three variations, and the fitting instructions are the same (I've posted those in your other thread)

Originally they were non folding with electrical adjustment and heating.

On the 2001MY (i.e. 2000 and onwards) the standard mirrors are folding, and have electric adjustment and heating.

The ES & HSE models (i.e. top spec) have powerfold mirrors.

Cheers

Blippie

There are three variations, and the fitting instructions are the same (I've posted those in your other thread)

Originally they were non folding with electrical adjustment and heating.

On the 2001MY (i.e. 2000 and onwards) the standard mirrors are folding, and have electric adjustment and heating.

The ES & HSE models (i.e. top spec) have powerfold mirrors.

Cheers

Blippie

Cheers Blippie I'll try to reduce abit of forum traffic by posting any mirror info etc on my original newbie help request..

powerfold would be nice but I'm sure I can just about manage to fold them by hand :rolleyes:

Phil

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...