V6 Freelander. What's the catch?

Dezzie

Hi everyone.

I keep seeing really cheap late Freelanders in the classified adverts, then on closer inspection, find out they're the V6.

What are the pitfalls? Are they best avoided? Are they stupid thirsty? Is it head gaskets again? Were they only available with the Auto box?

Thanks for any replies. Cheers ................... Matt. :D

They did a manual. I drove one offroad once. Not a huge amount of low down grunt and without a low box it struggled on the steep climbs forcing you to ride the clutch.

I think the reason they're cheap is people seem to he conditioned now to buy diesel without really thinking about it, just the word v6 is off putting.

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue where the engine came from?

friend of mine bought one two TDs ago, he loved it. Said it was the last car he bought that he just went out to drive for the sake of it.. rather than needing to go somewhere.

He ran it from north of Scotland to south of England and back on a regular commute and it never let him down.

Eventually it got tired so he bought a diesel .. then his current SD4 which he also likes and its a bit less costly to run.

Engine is a marry up of two K-series engines with a cylinder lopped off each, and suffers the same head gasket/dowel problems.

Bit thirsty, but I bet they sound nice, go well, and are nice and smooth when running right.

From what I've heard they're potentially suffering the same issues as the K1.8 but have twice as many head gaskets, drink more fuel without being *that* much quicker than the others and quite a few special-to-the-v6 parts.

That said, if kept up together the K1.8 is a great engine and the KV6 freebies are, as you've noticed, billy bargains as no-one wants them.

• 2 weeks later...

After running a BMW engined TD4 for 6 years I would never touch one again, its the only vehicle I've had which would randomly just not start.

It would drive perfectly for a month, then you'd pull up in the services, stop for a coffee and it wouldn't start. Then by the time the recovery people got there, it would have fixed itself. Obviously the garage couldn't help, because the computer said it was fine and it didn't play up when they had it. After lots of faffing around, it turned out it was the injectors, randomly failing open and causing the fuel pressure to drop. £2000 for injectors and pump later and it worked again, but because it used to randomly work anyway, I never trusted it to keep working.

Shame really, as it was a nice car otherwise. Surprisingly capable offroad too.

if, you want randomly ffailing to start you should try a p38 with a bcem synchronization fault. would start fine all day for m,e then id lend it to my dad... and it wouldnt start. very annoying. eventually worked out you had to leave the key in the door for 10 secs after unlocking manually or it wouldnt start....