P38 Gearbox problem

silversurfer

Own a 1997 P38. Recently had gearbox trouble and was told by the AA that gearbox was at fault. clunked and clanked when I drove it all 4 wheels seemed to lock up from where it was stuck in gear. Picked up a second hand unit with torque converter and dropped it off to a local garage. After a couple of days they phoned me back and said that the torque converter on the new box had different mounting points and they would have to use my original one but this will just slot straight in. Following day they called me back and said everything was put back together new box and my original torque converter but when they selected a gear nothing moved or engaged. Any ideas before they call me back to say they will have to use trial and error at my cost?? Thanks guys.

Own a 1997 P38. Recently had gearbox trouble and was told by the AA that gearbox was at fault. clunked and clanked when I drove it all 4 wheels seemed to lock up from where it was stuck in gear. Picked up a second hand unit with torque converter and dropped it off to a local garage. After a couple of days they phoned me back and said that the torque converter on the new box had different mounting points and they would have to use my original one but this will just slot straight in. Following day they called me back and said everything was put back together new box and my original torque converter but when they selected a gear nothing moved or engaged. Any ideas before they call me back to say they will have to use trial and error at my cost?? Thanks guys.

Might be wrong in this case but it's quite easy to break the oil pump when refitting the box I know of one recently where this was the cause of no drive after replacing the box.

It's documented as a warning some where, maybe rangerovers.net or the like, cant remember just now.

Found it-----Copied from another site, thanks to the author.

I have just fitted a reconditioned ZF autobox. I have filled the box with the correct amount of oil but have no drive at all, forward or reverse. Why?

The first thing to do is to remove the oil cooler pipe from the bottom of the gearbox (put a container under the open end to catch the oil) and start the engine. You should get a good flow of oil. If not the pump has been broken during installation and will need replacing/rebuilding. The torque convertor must be fitted to the gearbox, located correctly on the pump and locked into postion before the gearbox is offered to the engine, otherwise damage will occur to the pump, resulting in no oil flow and subsequent to other parts of the autobox.