TD5 Discovery leaking roof - roof rails to blame?

boaterboy

Does anyone know if a bad join between the roof rails and the roof panel could be the source of a leak?

How are the joins constructed?

On my car there appears to be a foam rubber gasket which looks to have gone brittle.

The roof rails are evidently not pulled down tight on the gasket and the rails are firm on the roof panel which leads me to wonder if there is a spacer of some sort?

Any help, advice, diagrams, etc. would be gratefully received as a contribution to stopping a wretched roof leak!

By taping up the joins I've established it's neither between the glass / seal nor the sunroof plastic surround / roof panel.

Apparently there are a number of possibilities for leaks - that was why I took out the headlining and left it out for 2 months to satisfy myself as to where the leaks were .In my case between the sunroof frame and the vehicle roof .

The alpine windows are bonded in the D2 but I suppose they can still leak .

Some have also reported a leak from the roof gutter area - the join where the roof meets the rest of the vehicle .

Roof bar attachment points not a common source .

The roof lining while in place can carry water in all directions and make a leak very difficult to pinpoint .

Does anyone know if a bad join between the roof rails and the roof panel could be the source of a leak?

How are the joins constructed?

On my car there appears to be a foam rubber gasket which looks to have gone brittle.

The roof rails are evidently not pulled down tight on the gasket and the rails are firm on the roof panel which leads me to wonder if there is a spacer of some sort?

Any help, advice, diagrams, etc. would be gratefully received as a contribution to stopping a wretched roof leak!

By taping up the joins I've established it's neither between the glass / seal nor the sunroof plastic surround / roof panel.

1. Yes always

2. The rail has a stud at each end which passes through the gasket-spacer and into the hole in the roof and roof strengthen plate and then fixed with a washer and nut.

So u can seal externally insitu with ie. Sikaflex or similar, or remove the rail and fit new gaskets.