Fuel filler leak

Mine did this. Like you, I tried everything. The only thing that worked was only half filling the tank. I figured it was because the filler neck was pitted at the point where the seal contacts it.

I've just (this week) fitted a TD5 plastic filler neck and cap to see if it works. Once I've filled the tank up I'll let you know if it has worked. It was a fairly easy mod. All I needed was a step down (20mm to 14mm) pipe bayonet fitting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361002248732?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

because the return pipe on a TD5 is slightly larger, and then I fabricated a bracket where it bolts to the tub. The actual main delivery pipe needscutting down in length but is the right diameter.

I've just (this week) fitted a TD5 plastic filler neck and cap to see if it works. Once I've filled the tank up I'll let you know if it has worked. It was a fairly easy mod.

I did the same on my 110, just be aware that the tank has no breather so you might find (as I did) that it develops either massive negative or massive positive pressure! I had to fix a breather into the Filler neck using a push fit bulkhead fitting.

Hazza and western fit a discovery 1 cap there the same thread but no key and they have a 1/4 turn vented/unvented facility built into the cap.

Mike

Not sure I'd risk not having a locking cap...i know the tank is easy to drain but this would make it that but easier to do subtly!

I did the same on my 110, just be aware that the tank has no breather so you might find (as I did) that it develops either massive negative or massive positive pressure! I had to fix a breather into the Filler neck using a push fit bulkhead fitting.

Mine already has a breather fitted.

And yes, you need the neck and a new filler cap. Don't know about the key, haven't had to fill it up yet since I did it.

sounds promising! What breather system do you have on your tank? On mine, the breather is through the cap, but sounds like the TD5 uses a different system and that you have an alternative already in place?

• 4 months later...

Just resurrecting this from earlier this year. Cackshifter on another thread has mentioned that the Genuine caps are the only ones he has found to seal properly. I get two part numbers for this on searching - RTC4740 and STC4072. I think the latter supersedes RTC4740. Does this mean that there is no difference between them as parts are available under both numbers on LRDIRECT?