Strange Shudder?

Paddy_SP

My '97 D1 300Tdi has developed a strange shudder which seems to occur only between about 26 and 32 mph. It does it in all the gears, and only when under load - if I freewheel it at the same speed, it's as smooth as a smooth thing. It feels like an engine or gearbox mount, but they appear fine. I've grabbed and twisted all the obvious chassis bits, and they all seem fine too. It feels in a way like a wheel or prop weight has fallen off, but as the shudder disappears when it's out of gear, it's unlikely to be either of those.

I was therefore wondering if anyone here has experienced the same issue?

Check the handbrake - I had a strange unpredictable brief 'hiccup' sensation under acceleration sometimes - turned out to be one of the H/B linings had on one edge started to delaminate from the steel part of the shoe (rust...) and lift up and at certain speeds it caught on the drum and snatched.

Check the handbrake - I had a strange unpredictable brief 'hiccup' sensation under acceleration sometimes - turned out to be one of the H/B linings had on one edge started to delaminate from the steel part of the shoe (rust...) and lift up and at certain speeds it caught on the drum and snatched.

Thanks for the pointer - I should have said, however, that I've got an X-Brake disc handbrake!

Well - I got the truck up on the lift this morning, and had a good poke about. The rear prop was OK, but I swapped it for another as the doughnut was beginning to split. I then checked the front prop, which should have been fine as I fitted a new one less than two years ago. Guess what - the UJ at the transfer box end was knackered on one axis - it felt OK when I tried moving it by hand, but when I rotated it through 90 degrees, it wobbled about like a mad thing. At least I know what's wrong now...