Water in boot storage box

Bumble

Have been looking at buying an S reg Freelander I noticed that there was water in the boot storage box in the boot floor obviously it had been leaking for a long time judging by the amount of mould that was on the boot mat, is this a common fault?

Mainly the door seal on the back door; the whole door/complicated seal design with its stupid electric latch and stupider electric window which freezes shut was an abortion waiting to go wrong from day 1 and whoever designed it should be shot!

Just my 2p you understand ;)

Oh and the other way you can get water in the boot is to reconnect the battery, forget that this makes the window go down and then park it outside in the P*ssn rain for a week. Don't bother asking how I know THAT :ph34r:

Two ways you can get water in the boot.

First is condensation, usually on the lid, but will spread mould along the carpet if it is left lone enough.

Cure is to air it out and may be drill one or two holes in the lid. Job done.

Second is a leaking door seal. More common on older models as a different part number was used later. This leads to significant amounts of water in the cubby after rain. I have this on one of mine. I regularly mop out but will have to bite the bullet and get around to fitting the later door seal at some point. I gather it is a bit of a pain of a job, probably the reason why many haven't been done by the dealers on recall.

Cheers

Blippie

Oh and the other way you can get water in the boot is to reconnect the battery, forget that this makes the window go down and then park it outside in the P*ssn rain for a week. Don't bother asking how I know THAT

how do you know that? :P

I drilled a 5mm hole in the boot floor :ph34r: sorry Blippie

Most early ones sufferd with this but some the dealer sorted in there early days.

It strated from the fixings from the gutter above the back window a bead of mastic normaly sorted that out

stopped it from sloshing around.

That's a thought ...

We each have a pair of "mirror spiders" that cast webs over the wing mirrors but hide away inside when you are driving.

Thing is, I've just swapped the mirrors on the Camel for the later 2001MY folding mirrors. It didn't occur to me that I have removed the mirror spiders.

I wonder if they are still inside the old ones. Perhaps I should transplant them too.

Cheerio

Blippie

• 6 months later...

Check the headlining at the inside top of the door. If it is wet then it's not the door rubber, instead the water is getting in through the screwholes that hold the top outer trim in place. It then just drips down at a fair rate of knots into the cubby hole where it becomes a stagnent paddling pool. You will need to remove the outer side trims then the top trim. Unscrew the metal bracket that the top trim clips onto then get some mastic and bed the nylon clips into the holes in the body using the mastic. Run a line of mastic across the top of the screw clips the width of the vehicle (well, what would be covered when the metal strip is back in place) and then squirt some more mastic into the screwholes in the nylon clips then screw the metal bracket back in. Refit the outer trim and snip snip - Bob's yer aunty. You will probably end up breaking the plastic clips that hold the trim on when removing the trim so you best to buy 6 clips for the side trims (each is held on with 3 clips) and 5 of a different type for the top trim before you start.

For info, the part numbers are:

Side trim clips = DCE 100560

Top trim clips = DYC 101470

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

:D

This brings back memorys of our 03 plate Freelander, we had both water in the cubby box and mirror spiders - I also fondly remember the windscreen wipers packing up on wet drive from Aberdeen to Glasgow :( .

The water in the cubby was due to condesation, enhanced by the rubber floor mat. The spiders, we had to pay Land Rover extra for. I solved the water problem by moving to Oman and buying a 1985 110. Needless to say owning an early 110, water is th least of my worries. :unsure: Stiil looking for Spider accesories though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi, I've recently found this youtube clip, which might hold a new insight into the cause of wet boots. the water seems to be coming in from around the tool box holder to boot floor spot welds, I haven't checked it myself yet but a tube of sealant or heavy under body paint might be in order