Mot and seats....

reb78

This might be a silly question, but do I need to have the middle row seats fitted in my 110 for it to go through and pass the mot? The seats are currently out to give me access to replace the c pillars and I was going to do some more mods on them before refitting but would like to do the mot as soon as the c pillars are done.

(It's not a big deal either way, it's just a couple of nuts and bolts, but I was just wondering)

• 2 weeks later...

I once sent a vehicle for a pre mot check. ..

it had no lights fitted. ...

Came back later and it had been tested and passed.....

tester said if it wasn't there he couldn't test it...lol.

I suspect times have changed since then. ....

NO....Still the same rules ...

likewise it's not illegal to not carry a spare wheel/tyre. It is however illegal to carry one if it is illegal i.e square or less than 1.6mm tread. A lot of new cars either have a space saver, can of tyre weld or nothing at all supplied as new.

Same goes for rear wash/wipe if it's fitted it has to work, remove it and it won't count if it doesn't work.

Some things however have to work, recent changes mean any dash warning lights on or deemed to not work can mean a fail and the door handles must open from inside and out.

My passenger seatbelt went missing during the rebuild last year so I removed the seat for the MOT, it came back with an advisory but otherwise passed. The tester asked that I swing by the following week once I had replaced the belt and refitted the seat just to confirm but he had no legal requirement to do so.

Likewise I had a test a few years ago after a bulkhead swap and couldn't get the wipers to work in time, the roof was already off so we removed the windscreen and drove there in ski goggles. It passed with no issues. You should be fine :)

Whenever I've taken my 90CSW for a MOT, if the rear side-mounted seats have been "up" (like they spend most of their time) the MoT has usually had an advisory something like "rear seats not operational - seat-belts not tested".

A friend also had his Jag rejected-for-test because the MOT-tester adjusted the position of the seat before he drove it on to the ramps, and the adjuster-mechanism spring broke so it wouldn't lock in the new position (the seat position probably never being adjusted for several years prior to this).

Reason-for-rejection was for something like 'unsafe condition - Seat attachment to body'. The car was resubmitted (and passed) half an hour later with the seat adjusted back to its original position and fixed there rather firmly by an 8mm bolt.

likewise it's not illegal to not carry a spare wheel/tyre. It is however illegal to carry one if it is illegal i.e square or less than 1.6mm tread. A lot of new cars either have a space saver, can of tyre weld or nothing at all supplied as new.

Not the case: the "defective spare wheel/tyre" is not ~fitted~ to the vehicle ~as one of the road-wheels~ but merely being 'carried' : there is no provision in the MoT for testing the vehicle's load or cargo at the time of testing though the tester may draw the submitter's atention to the condition of such a wheel it's condition is not a reason-for-failure.

After all, it could be a wheel/tyre from an entirely different vehicle (which may not need to be road-legal anyway) you just happen to have in the back at the time you submit to the test, or a wheel/tyre you were taking to the dump/scrappie.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm has the precise wording.

I rarely remove the child seats from our cars and I get an advisory saying they couldn't test the seatbelt as there was a childseat but they still pass it.

I have however failed on rear foglight not working as I'd left the 13 - 7 pin adaptor in the towing socket. Then they tried to charge an hours labour for fault finding and a retest fee. :angry2:

I had my 110 CSW tested within the last month at a main stealer. I had only one seat fitted in the second row, and belts for the two outers only. No problems, no advisories.

The truck is 1986, so was built without rear belts.