One headlight dim dip

Taffia

Hi All,

After reading and searching I hope someone can throw some 'light' on this one - excuse the pun!

My driver side driving and main beam have stopped working and I am left with a 'Dim' light when the lights are turned on this one side only - from reading on here it sounds like the Dim-Dip running option but I haven't found any examples of it only effecting one side - and I have never seen Dim-Dip option before on the vehicle.

The passenger side headlight works perfectly. I have checked the fuse box and that seems all OK - but I haven't take the front off yet to see if there are relays behind

Mine is a 95 110 ex mod so I have the light switching dial in the centre of the console but from looking at the wiring diagrams and testing it this is not the problem and it would effect both sides.

I have the Dash off and can't see a pink relay anywhere behind the dash (As an ex army Defender I can't imagine they would have had this option?) - but I admit I did get a little rained off at 8am. but about to go back out with larger torch and flask!

Normally when I put the side lights on I don't get the Dim-dip option so I am perplexed its started in one headlight all of a sudden.

After a few coffees, two Haynes manuals and a bit of searching I thought I would ask in case I am missing something.

All of the issues I have read about seem to effect both lights - that's what's throwing me.

Any hints for a to assist my wet Sunday Landy electrics Session much appreciated - and of course it have to be just before MOT week!!

Thanks

Taffia

Have you checked the multiplug for the bulb connection at the headlight? Do you have a test lamp/multimeter? I'd be checking for 12v at the main and dip beam wires...that'll verify if you have power reaching the light unit. It does sound like a dodgy connection (on a defender? Never ). Check that it has a good earth, I think this is bolted on the inner wing somewhere.

Is it running halogens or sealed beam units?

Hi All,

Just to come back in case for future readers - it was the connection on the back of the light. The Squaddie before me had changed the light but not put back a rubber boot and there was no cone on the rear of the headlight - so just a bare connection and wires in the H4 bulb connector.

(Will be sourcing rubber and cone next)

A play with the wires and wow - bright light again - walk away and you get the dip-dim effect. So some tidying up to do!

Once again - gold stars all around and thanks very much. Still amazes me the help this forum provides every time.

Now to change the pulley tensioner on the 300tdi that's in there.

Thanks again

Taffia

ps Passed the MOT flying colours!