clutch replacement ££?

Hi,

What the normal bill for a new clutch?

mine is gone, no power on hills and no power in 4th/5th. Engineers says clutch is killing the the throttle so it needs replacing.

what the normal cost, googled it but forums are all 2011 costs...

• Like 1

when you say no power on hills , what does that mean ? engine revving up but no speed increase or no power when you push the throttle?

A clutch change is a time consuming job even in a full workshop with a lift and gearbox jack

cheers

Steveb

Depends what engine, but a 300tdi would be cheaper than an earlier model as you can remove the engine / box without disturbing the cab floor and bulkhead diaphragm panels and the inevitable rusted screws.

I can do a 300 clutch in 2.5hrs start to finish with just an engine crane by undoing the engine, lofting it slightly in the engine bay and turning it 45 degrees

when you say no power on hills , what does that mean ? engine revving up but no speed increase or no power when you push the throttle?

A clutch change is a time consuming job even in a full workshop with a lift and gearbox jack

cheers

Steveb

Hi I would be down to 2nd on minor hills and throttle would do nothing more than sound awful and make a bad hot smell.

On bigger hills it would struggle in 1st!!!!!

I did my 200 Tdi a short time back when the truck was stripped down to the chassis. hopefully i wont have to touch for a while. i dread having to strip the floors out.

You do not need to take the floor out. Just pull the engine. Easy enough job.

As to the OP... IMO, a professional and competent shop should charge 4 hours labour plus parts.

Same as any other vehicle, put as much load on the clutch as possible. (handbrake on and try to pull away in second gear) It should stall.

A defender will pull more than most though and the handbrake may not be so good.