300TDI LIFT PUMP 1995

Frax

If your in a hurry to get the parts theres a place called RDH landrovers up in the tomintoul area. You could give him a try ive been to him a few times and he usually has most parts in stock and if not he might have an engine sitting he could take them out of to get you going. 01807590718 is his number.

Raymond

Thanks Raymond will keep him in mind for future disasters. Phoned main dealer in Aberdeen Town & County and they had none :angry: so phoned Frank Ogg in Elgin and he had six. ;) Went to Elgin and picked 4 up - home and fitted - set the valves started her up and she ran as sweet as a nut :D apart from a strange metallic squeak. :huh: Still to find where it is coming from. Decided to take it for a run and all was well till I got back home and back into the garage. Noticed an oil drip - had a look underneath and it looks like the whole lot will have to come apart again, :o crank shaft seal has gone. Its not bad but a steady drip of about 1 per min. Looks like my old belt has ruined the seal as it was new about 2 months ago.

Will it still be OK to drive till I order a seal as I am not going running round again - Dont want the oil spraying all over my new cam belt and wrecking it.

If oil gets on the cam belt it'll severely weaken it (the oil makes the belt feel like soft rubber), which may well break in the near future. If the oil is not on the belt, then you can get away with it for a while. Problem is - you just don't know if it's missing the belt.

Les.

Still waiting on oil seal but I did remove the old one today and it was ripped, When I took the timing cover off I noticed that my new belt is running against the timing cover, I know it was all the way on the pulley when fitted and my tensioner's are new.

Is there anything I need to check before I fit the new seal (when it arrives) all pulleys feel OK.

When I did it the first time I do notice that the original belt had been doing the same thing.

Sounds like you have half of one kit and half of another. As I understood it you had either a raised edge on the idler and none on the crankshaft gear on the early kit and this got changed to a raised edge on the crankshaft gear and none on the idler to try and correct the timing belt issues that were occuring.

This should be like your crankshaft gear (Part No LHH100660)

LHH100660.jpg

normally supplied as part of STC4096K timing kit

The Bearmach gear is better than the genuine Land Rover one as it is a one part gear whereas the Land Rover one has the sides spot welded on.

just for further info, i have sorted my poor pulling power on my 1987 90 with a disco 200tdi and it relates to this. today i bought from paddocks a new lift pump on the advice of the garage as their supplier wanted twice as much money. on dropping it off to the garage the owner said he had a similar problem and it wasnt until he installed his forth one that came with a spacer, as did mine.

apparently Bob at paddocks was aware of this aswell and agreed with the garage, the replacement one should come with a spacer that keeps the lift pump another centimetre away from the block, apparently if you install a lift pump without it after a while it will bend the arm that enters the engine and in my case resulted in my loss of power as it was only getting half the fuel it should.

Dont know what you guys think about this? but my poor starting has gone, and she pulls like a train on speed! seriously on the return from the garage I couldnt find a road long enough!!! approaching 60 in fourth with still a sh** loads left, im looking forward to tomorrow ;-)

Paul

post-19709-0-16359100-1328829468_thumb.jpgnot sure if this is clear? but you can quite clearly see the black spacer sandwiched between blue gaskets, i cant seem to make it any bigger (story of my life?) but this is from somewhere called Brookwells, there are a few if you google them, but like i said, worked for me

Paul