P38 4.0 Petrol , Auto , Wont tickover .

P38 Paul

Hello peeps , My P38 is playing up again , I went to start it on Saturday & it was very difficult to get going , once it started it ran very unevenly & stalled every time I took my foot off the throttle , If I hold it just above tickover it keeps surging & trying to cut out , but If I rev it over 2000rpm it seems a lot better but still has a hint of a misfire , It was running ok the last time I drove it , The car runs on lpg & petrol but no matter what it runs on its still the same so I doubt that it is a fuel issue . Any ideas please would be of a great help .

• 2 months later...

Got round to changing the plugs today but still no joy , I don't think its a misfire anymore as I have removed the plug leads one by one & all make a slight change to the engine speed . Are there any sensors that I need to be checking ? Thanks in advance , Paul .

Mass air flow meter would be the one I would look at. It needs to read 22-25KG/hr at idle and 90+ at 3000rpm,engine hot,all loads off. Without this the oxygen sensors will not switch and the engine ecu will log faults for them.

I have answered questions like this a hundred times on several forums,there MUST be loads of similar threads / posts on this subject...

Mass air flow meter would be the one I would look at. It needs to read 22-25KG/hr at idle and 90+ at 3000rpm,engine hot,all loads off. Without this the oxygen sensors will not switch and the engine ecu will log faults for them.

I have answered questions like this a hundred times on several forums,there MUST be loads of similar threads / posts on this subject...

Hi Alley V8 , Does the petrol maf sensor have a default setting like the diesel maf sensor when you unplug it ? Regards Paul .

If you unplug the MAF sensor the ECU will use a default setting, however, that wouldn't normally affect the LPG system unless that also uses the MAF reading. I ran mine for about 3 months without the MAF sensor connected without any issues after a faulty MAF sensor was stopping it accelerating.

It's worth checking the air pipes are all good and not split/disconnected - a split air pipe can allow air to bypass the throttle and MAF, causing the engine to run lean on both fuels.

• 3 weeks later...