Soaked Carped in Discovery 2

CJ1

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me and if so, if they knew what it was.

I have a 2002 52 Land Rover Discovery with twin sunroofs.

I went to change the CD Changer and found the carpet is totally soaking wet.

The dealer I bought it from said the sunroofs don't leak, but I don't believe a word out of his mouth anymore.

The other day when I jet washed the car the front passenger corner of the roof lining got soaked.

And over the last 2 days I have been talking to the actual last owners who sold the car to the dealer.

And they told me that the BCU and ECU were destroyed by water from a leaking sunroof which rendered the car a non runner.

Obviously the dealer got it running and the saw me coming lol.

I give up arguing with the dealer. So I am now just getting on with fixing the car. As to be honest. I LOVE IT. Despite the faults.

Where should I start looking to get this sorted?

Cheers

Loads of places unfortunately. But all easily fixed.

1. Sunroof(s) you know about. I don't have them so can't advise but believe it's a case of ensuring the outflows are clear.

2. There was a LR issued bulletin about the front end of the roof gutters. The factory sealant cracks and allows water in. That's your N/S headlining water source most likely. Get some decent RTV. Sikaflex (291) or other marine quality are best imho. Clean out the old stuff, wipe through with acetone or similar and reseal.

3. If you have aircon, the condensate outlet pipes can clog. The condensate backs up and runs out into the carpet. The outlets are either side of the heater unit, behind the front lower edge of the centre console.

4. I found that a misaligned passenger door was allowing water (when washing or heavy rain) to trickle in through the door seal, in behind the kick panel trim, and down the kick panel itself into the footwell.

5. I also found a small but vicious bit of localised rust directly under the heater intake in the scuttle panel. Open the bonnet and look in the area under the wipers from the side of the car. That's where the water from the windscreen is channelled off the car via the inner wing. Mine was dripping down off the heater motor. (that's the BCU area). There's a tape seal in there too, which is another potential spot for water ingress.

6. There's also a possibility of hairline cracks forming in the footwell floor around the body mounts either side of the trans tunnel. It's a carpet out job to investigate. That means centre console and seats out too. I took the opportunity to rent a shampoo vac at the time, and did a proper valet of the soft furnishings.

Those are the main ones. You'll find other info on most of them as they're not uncommon. Some report leaks from the windscreen seals. Do the visual checks first. Ultimately though, when I found mine to still be leaking, I stripped the interior and had someone spray the car (up/down and under), with a hose while I stayed inside and watched.

Cheers. I will refit the rooftails with sealant on them when I get the lining down. For now while there is no good enough weather I will keep drying the car out. And excuse the word rooftails. My phone auto corrected roof rails for some reason and now won't let me alter it lol

Thank you. I will add this to the ever growing list of things to sort lol

I have a list just like yours, identical in most respects but probably a little longer. I'm just glad I've most of mine struck through. I've felt your pain. It's a bitter sweet thing is a D2 if you ask me ;)

8. Blocked front sunroof drain holes. Well hidden at the bottom of the A pillar on inside of chassis. These are easy to get clogged up with mud.

Griff

I believe that was already covered as outflows:-

1. Sunroof(s) you know about. I don't have them so can't advise but believe it's a case of ensuring the outflows are clear.

But Sunroof can be broken down to

a) block drain holes/outflows

b) broken plastic collector boxes

c) seal of frame to metal roof

d) seal of glass to rubber seal

I would say b and c are most common.