Help,what Could Be Problem?

Culloden

Hi newly purchased a 2001 1951cc tds diesel freelander.Seemed to be running ok,but today done a journey of about 8 miles,and noticed steam coming from water coolant bottle,which had all but evaporated.After topping up i got home,only for the water to go again as the engine got hot,the water in coolant bottle,seemed to get really hot and be released as steam.Only bought it friday,was loving it,but now looks heading to a garage.Just wondered if anyone has any ideas,to what could be problem.....thanks very much in advance.

Are there any other signs of overheating? Temp gauge reading normal? As a starting point, i'd replace the header tank cap, the cooling system prevents boiling by building pressure (the boiling point is raised when under pressure), if the cap has failed, it won't build pressure and will boil loosing coolant as steam like you're experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...

Coolant, I believe, is most likely leaking at the head gasket area due to lost torque from the original cylinder head bolts. This is where you get the overheating and where coolant creeps out of, very difficult to spot at times since it runs along the exterior of the engine block thus usually burnt off by hot engine. Land Rover addressed this issue by releasing an uprated oil rail in 2005, specifically for the 1.8 Freelander. To do this correctly and to do it first time, renew the head gasket + renew the oil rail + use Hylomar sealant for head gasket (use 2x coats on each of the following, both sides engine block face, both sides shim, both sides new head gasket, nil for the cylinder head). I videoed this project, since which, my Freelander has never run more quietly and smoothly and no more temperature needle creeping past the half way mark and importantly, no more coolant loss. Here's my video link: http://youtu.be/BbVNPNzcx6M

Also worth pointing out that the uprated oil rail for the 1.8 is believed to be only of marginal benefit, the reliability improvement comes from steel head dowels, better head gasket, correctly levelled cylinder liners and the improved thermostat relocation kit. I was advised by Dave Andrews (DVA Power) not to bother with the oil rail.