Naughty naughty?

JeffR

Good grief.

They won't get anywhere with their legal action. There was an X5 rip off that BMW pursued through the Chinese courts - who basically said 'it looks nothing like it' .....

Wether it's corruption or protecting their own manufacturing base - the official position was effectively in support of the plagarism.

Having all our stuff made cheap does come with costs. Seeing as China makes everything and is a huge market I don't see any trade restrictions coming in over a baby range rover copy. I wonder how much difference it really makes. Yes I want a range rover, no hang on I can glue the body panels on a tractor I'll have that instead. Looking like something isn't the same as being the same. :-)

• Like 1

I am in a hotel room in China as I write this. I am here on business.

One of our contacts said that China is not very creative but they are good at copying things. Where I am, in a 3rd tier city, there is evidence of things being very very basic. Was taken to a pharmaceutical company today, the boilers were fueled by coal and the labels and packing were all done by hand. Things here are certainly archaic.

In some respects it is a complement to LR that the Chinese have copied them. I do not think they will win their case.

Are we even bothered ? The Land Rover of our interest is far removed from the Land Rover corporation of today.

Mo

Correct. But would the marque survive with selling the simplistic vehicles of old without all the electronic gismos. Consumers want more than mechano and the ability to do it / fix it yourself. Lease cars epitomise the current trend of everything relating to an operating cost and lifecycle

I'd save the lawyers fees and leave it alone and spend the money on bringing forward the new body shape that must be due shortly. Can't see the copy affecting more than a few thousand units at absolute most that they would have sold anyway given the vehicles apparently sell for double the cost of here (due to import duties) so at say £50k floor price in china. The 14k copy is mostly going to sell to those that could not afford the genuine one anyway and it won't have all the gismos and branding anyway of a genuine one so they haven't lost sales they didn't have / would not have had

What do I know anyway