Whats best? Defender 200TDI or 300TID engine?

Hi I am looking for some advise. I am planning a trip abroad, looking at france and spain hoping to spend around two weeks on the trip.

I am thinking of building a 110 CSW or atleast buyin a project and making it right for the trip.

I have owned plenty of land rovers mainly defenders and a couple off discoverys.

Now... I am asking whats goin to be my best option defender 300TDI or defender 200TDI engine?

All the defenders i have owned have been 200TDI's some with discovery conversions but i am tryin to steer away from the conversion due to cooling problems and so on as the cowlings dont fit but on the other hand the 200 defender engine have been bullet proof for me.

I know the 300TDI engine's are more refined but i never hear good stories about them mainly overheating problems etc.

What ever i decide on it will be getting rebuild before being fitted (new rings, gaskets, etc)

There are plenty of people on here that have done this sort of trip so im hoping they can help me from there experience

Thank you

Ah, great way to start a debate!

200 - difficult to get cylinder heads, slightly rougher, simpler to work on (a bit)

300 - smoother, more complex front end with the serpentine belt, and the early timing belt issue.

Reliability about the same - for a well serviced engine.

Or you could go for the TD5?

Leaving now, before the fire erupts!

G.

On my 1st. Defender so can't comment too much, apart from it being a 300tdi and had it 3 nearly 4 years now.

It gets a regular oil change every 6 months, prop shaft greased every 3 mths. and the usual basic checks, have to say it hasn't

faltered yet, realistically only had to get it a new battery and fit a new master clutch cylinder. As for over heating i got it

without a viscous fan and ran it like that for 3 yrs plus with no issue.....But as with all things there will no doubt be

the good ones and bad ones of each....The best one is the one you have at the time that is running problem free, which,judging

by this forum is about 2 weeks :hysterical: so with any luck you should just get home before it all goes T*Ts up :i-m_so_happy:

Personally I don't think there's much between the Tdi engines in terms of reliability. The 200Tdi's extra simplicity is countered by their advanced age I'd say, and they're both old enough and well known enough that most of the issues are likely to have been seen before.

A Td5 would be much nicer for the long drive down to the Med.

Just saying... :P

I'd say as you don't want a conversion the choice is really down to what is sitting in the Defenders you go to look at, by which I mean don't let your decision of which Defender to buy rest on engine type .... instead make the decision on the best condition Defender you can get for your money. Just my 2P worth

I wanted a 200tdi as from information gathered on various forums it is a bit more resiliant to damage from overheating.

Personally I think the best vehicle is a standard one mechanically which left the factory that way, easier to get parts for and designed like that from the start.

Considering how old the tdi Defenders are though then buy on condition. Mine had known issues when I bought it but I preferred that than to ones caked in waxoyl and with random add ons when I couldn't tell how well they had been fitted.

Dave!

200tdi has double v-belt setup so any issue with power steering setup means you can remove the belt and carry on-cant do this with a 300tdi

200tdi has ladder/strengthening frame underneath the block meaning you cant field strip the pistons/rods without removing the engine and removing the bolts from the back of the clutch bellhousing to remove the frame, 300 dosnt have it.

300 injectors are cheaper than 200tdi's

300 dual stage injection is quieter than 200 single stage

300has higher positioned waterpump meaning overheating issues quicker than the lower positioned pump on a 200

300heads still available new, 200 arnt or have been for a few years.

Some random parts are NLA - like mid exhaust hangers or airbox mount brackets, fetch big money on ebay when they do get listed

200 easier to retrofit into factory position on an older 2.5NA/TD, 300 will fit onto LT77 (with 2.5NA backplate) but then involves non standard pipework, 300 will fit into standard factory position but requires a Defender R380 'box, propshafts, floor plates, gearbox crossmember, seatbox and tunnel.

Personallly I've gone the 200tdi route but spent nearly a year looking for a good engine which cost me £1200. Decent 300's are going for under £500

200tdi has double v-belt setup so any issue with power steering setup means you can remove the belt and carry on-cant do this with a 300tdi

200tdi has ladder/strengthening frame underneath the block meaning you cant field strip the pistons/rods without removing the engine and removing the bolts from the back of the clutch bellhousing to remove the frame, 300 dosnt have it.

300 injectors are cheaper than 200tdi's

300 dual stage injection is quieter than 200 single stage

300has higher positioned waterpump meaning overheating issues quicker than the lower positioned pump on a 200

300heads still available new, 200 arnt or have been for a few years.

Some random parts are NLA - like mid exhaust hangers or airbox mount brackets, fetch big money on ebay when they do get listed

200 easier to retrofit into factory position on an older 2.5NA/TD, 300 will fit onto LT77 (with 2.5NA backplate) but then involves non standard pipework, 300 will fit into standard factory position but requires a Defender R380 'box, propshafts, floor plates, gearbox crossmember, seatbox and tunnel.

Personallly I've gone the 200tdi route but spent nearly a year looking for a good engine which cost me £1200. Decent 300's are going for under £500

200's have 2 stage injectors, they open at lower pressure... the noise difference is not noticable in reality

Cylinder heads dont need replacing very often so doesnt really make a difference.

Injector nozzles are readily avalable, there the bit that wears out.