Altenators

Dezzie

Hi everyone.

Altenator just packed up on my year 2000 L-series Diesel. Saw loads of smoke, and smelt burning. Pulled over and lifted the bonnet to find the Altenator innerds glowing red hot. :unsure:

Obviously needing a new one now.

What did Land Rover fit as standard ? Surely they wouldn't make their own. I've looked at a few on line, there is a LUCAS one for about £120.00, and cheaper ones for about £100.

I've looked at RIMMER BROS. and their 'Genuine' one is £455.00, minus an £84.00 exchange. :o

Any makes to steer clear of ?

Thanks for any replies ................ Matt. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Probably Lucas was original. Maybe Bosch or Denso.

Most if not all alternators are reconditioned sold on an exchange basis. Normally with a surchage that is returned when they receive the old one in a reconditionable condition.

Have a look here for the correct part number http://lrparts.ru/engl/

Left hand side look for image of FL and look under engine then engine type.

HTH

Cant post direct link as it isnt allowed on there

Thanks for the reply Tanis8472.

I bought the Lucas one for £110 + VAT. Yes, you're spot on. It was an exchange, I've got to take the old one back. Although, I'm not sure if the Rimmer Bros. "Genuine" one for £455.00 was a recon. Surely for that price it'd be a new one ?

What a pain in the neck job. Never again ! Loads of stuff to get off before you can get to it. In the end I had to enlist the help of a mechanic mate. Apparently, with air con, the job is much worse.

However, I'm a happy boy now the Freelander is back up and running. It's now on it's 'final' warning. That's a clutch last month at £375 and now the altenator.

Cheers.