Military Reg numbers and vehicle history

snailracer

We have a series 2a FFR that is currently registered as 1971. I've looked up the chassis number and I'm pretty sure its early 60's. Luckily my cousin is doing his uni work placement at Gaydon so hopefully tomorrow he can look it up and tell me the actual build date and we might be able to get age related plates.

The military Reg is 62LK68. I've tried various searches but my google fu is letting me down. I did find one reference to the number being coded so that the first number is the year (62) the letters are the regiment/unit (LK) and the next number is just a number (68). Is this right? I also cannot find any reference to LK being used on plates. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Matt

The two letters are the contract which dates the plate. The first two numbers and the last two numbers are just the vehcile number in that contract. Contract would start 01LK01, 50th vechile in that contract would be 01LK50, once the last two numbers reach 100 they go back to 00 so the 101st vehicle in the contract would be 02LK01.

ER contract was 1966, FG contract 1968, HG contract was early 80's. Are you sure its not EK which would be correct for a 60's 2A demobbed in 1971?

There are some real anoraks who could tell you more I'm sure!

I've had a good look at it and its EK. The E is badly stamped/worn and only looks like an E if you are looking at it as an E!

It all ties in with the chassis number and build date of 03/12/63. Now its a case of trying to get age related plates from the DVLA, and maybe have a look into the vehicle military history

• 3 months later...

You can apply to Gaydon for a history certificate which DVLA will accept as proof of age. My S3 on FM plates was built December '74 - but didn't enter service until August '78 - it spent 4 years sitting in a Central Vehicle Depot.

EMLRA can no longer provide the history search - you can try a Freedom of information request but with a vehicle this old you will have better luck writing to the RLC museum who hold all the old "B" vehicle record cards and getting a report from them as to it's service history. I think they charge around £25 .

• 2 months later...

A bit of insider knowledge the 2 letters relate to the area that it was registered in.

Where the MOD has/had office-based civil service run offices (i.e. MOD 'civilian' office workers) and did the actual ordering/purchasing of the vehicles.

Locally to me - this includes Liverpool - KA-KG and LV and Chester - FM, TU etc. so RangerNeils was most likely purchased via Chester....

I have noticed a huge amount were in the KA-KG range - including the one I used when in the Army...! :ph34r:

HTH

Pete

From further rooting - appears it is now a little more complicated and has changed since 'my day' :blink:

BTW - KA-KG and LV were Liverpool civilian registration numbers and FM and TU were Chester - before the 2001 - 51 regs came out.

Pete

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Age related plates might be fun with the "new look" DVLA!!

Mine has a "Y" reg plate currently reflecting the cast date of 1982. I asked DVLA about getting the correct age related plate for the build year of 1973 - took a good half a dozen attempts before I got hold of some one who actually knew vaguely what they were talking about (no surpisre there then!), First thing I was told is they will no longer recognize a certificate from Gaydon - you must have an age verification letter from a DVLA recognized authority - in my case the MVT - on the proper headed paper, This can take a few months to get - been waiting 2 now just to hear when they are likely to be able to do it as it is a volunteer service and they have to find someone relatively local to where the vehicle is.

Second thing I was told is the are related plate issued would relate to the age they have shown on their systems which for me is where the real fun begins as their super system says 55 FM 58 was built in 1975 whereas the Gaydon records show a build date of December 1973!! Rather important as next year she qualifies for road tax exemption based on Gaydons data!!

So not only do I have to convince them that she qualifies for an age related plate I also have to prove one of their monkeys input the wrong damned build date onto the system to start with!!

Oh - and from the RLC records she spent a few years in storage at Ashchurch before being issued to 216 (Tyne Tees) SqnRCT(V) where she stayed until cast from Ruddington in 1982.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an amendment to my earlier post - DVLA apparently (so they tell me) - no longer accept a Gaydon certificate but require a letter from a relevant club official on headed paper.

having now got the service history for mine it ties in with the build date Gaydon supplied so I too have to argue with DVLA to get age related plates. The current "Y" reg ones now allocated tie in with it being registered against the CAST date, not the build date.

• 5 years later...

i have purchased a light weight land rover, i have a chassis number but no military number, is the chassis number simular to any other land rover or is there a difference for military vehicles ?

ide like to track its history assuming the chassis is military.

All LW were made for military there was no civilian variant in UK, Spain did make a variant under licence years ago called the Santana Ligero. 

the military reg number should be on the military ident plate on dash or end of the seat box.