Eberspacher D1LC into a 1995 Defender 90

Frax

Thanks Jason, would one of the Numax do the job or are leisure batteries different, just though I could add one now and go for another later if need be.

One Numax would work they are not just leisure batteries but can also be used for cranking, however unless you were thinking about the upgrade in the next year or so I would seriously consider the other battery in that reply.

Jason.

They are original LR batteries so yes they will fit, the bloke seems to sell lots of JLR bits, maybe he brakes new trucks or just buys end of line stuff from the factory.

Jason.

interesting thread. i haev just fitted a Webasto airtop so i am interested to see how you get on with this one.

as an aside, i run 3 sets of 2 of those batteries that Jason posted up, all as twin setups between two vehicles. plus have two singles ones in other applications (tractor etc) being a leisure bats makes no odds.

You should have no problems with power, did you fit an NRV in your fuel line as that made a big difference to starting after having the eber running and Defender stopped.

I will update on the next frosty day after my new battery arrives (should be Wednesday)

How is your unit smoke wise when running ?

The heat difference since doing a bit of pump tuning is amazing, had the eber running today after a days shooting in the rain so thought the dog would like a bit of heat to dry herself out - now the heat is channeled to the front I had to drive with the window open

Well still no delivery of battery, not the people I bought it from's fault, f**in delivery firms.

Had another disaster, Landy is due an MOT so decided yesterday to give it a good clean, jet washed ever where which turned out to be a bad idea but my own fault. Water went up the eber exhaust and she would not start up, drained and disconnected the fuel pump and put it through 3 or 4 cycles thinking that the glow plug would heat the combustion chamber. This did not work so unit was stripped out and cleaned, found coil on glow plug had broken. Dont know if this was caused buy the water or just old age. Well the way I had it fitted I could not remove the glow plug while it was in place so I have now turned it around and refitted.

Glow plug ordered so it should be easy to fit now.

If you have one of these I would plug the air intake and exhaust while pressure washing :blush:

Doh,

Don't you hate courier's not personally but when it goes wrong it goes wrong!!!! I end up picking most of my stuff up from their DC as they seem to struggle with delivering to our house...

The other day I was sitting in my office when I heard a noise at the door, I walked out into the kitchen to find a card being pushed through the door, asked the guy what he was doing he said "Well there was no car in the drive so I didn't think anyone was in!!" "Did you not think of ringing the bell?" "no point mate!!"

I am just figuring out the exhaust on my D2 now I am going to make it fairly long just over a meter and fit it into the sill of my truck with the back pointing up so hopefully it will keep it out of trouble, the end can take a cap so I can cover the hole when off road etc.

Did you put the jet wash up the exhaust?

Jason.

Not intentionally but must have fired some water up there.

Delivery men are the pain of my life, we live in a country estate and all houses and a castle have the same post code so I always supply a phone No: and ask them to call for directions. Thursday last week I got an email saying they would deliver between 10am and 11am, At 12am I get an email saying that they tried to deliver but no one was at home so complete the supply ticket and attach to the door with alternative delivery method. ie: dump parcel in a safe place. Needless to say I was in and no deliver or ticket - next day same thing. Try and find a phone No: for them, any of them is near impossible.

I eventual did though and now I am promised deliver tomorrow - will wait and see.

I have now moved my exhaust to the bracket that hold my diesel tank under the drivers seat just at the edge of the body and pointing down.

It does recommend drilling a 1/2 mm hole at any low point in the exhaust if that part is not the tip to drain any moisture from system.

Life is a challenge ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well another hard frost today so after fitting the battery and new glow plug I though I would give it a try, Started but smoked (white) again but left it on for 1/2 hour then tried to start her and she fired up no problem. Thought the white smoke would clear as the unit dried out but no, it has been on for about 30 min twice today and still smoking so I can only think that my new glow plug is performing better than the old one so need to turn my pump down a bit again.

Trial and error but I will get there in the end................

Will have to check all my connections before I do the pump, what did you use jubilee clip wise, I did get some fuel pipe ones but they are hard to tell if they are tight as they are just at the end of there travel.

I brought a load of these I was using small jubilee clips but found I couldn't get them tight enough where as these I could, if you have a leak you should be able to see bubbles in the fuel line.

Jason.

great read gents as im looking at this myself

for batterys i reccomend two LR size HGV batterys with opposite terminals. mine are Banner... and they are doing well starting my Cummins engined 90 first swing, no heat after being sat in minus temps for 3 weeks (one battery wont swing it lol)

i have a truck cab 90 so im wondering on peoples thoughts on location? maybe a small spacer box below a cubby box/subwoofer with air intake on the bulkhead side and twin vents of hot air out of the front? with the air intake/exhaust and fuel pointing straight down out of the seatbox plate above the gearbox? should keep most of the **** away from the combustion side of the eberspacher? and tee straight into the fuel like like youve done with a NRV? though would this work with a Td5 tank? (as im looking at fitting one in the future)

thoughts and suggestions welcome... and watching your progress with interest!

Behind the middle seat or as some have done below the cubby box with a slight MOD, or under the drivers seat if you have a rear tank. Remember that the air intake and exhaust can not point straight down as they are only about 4" apart and if you get exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber it wont burn. coming off the fuel line - I would pick a low point as the fuel pump recommendation is about a 15 deg angle pointing up to help stop air sitting in the system.

I think Jason fitted his to a TD5 tank but with a separate pickup in the tank.

Frax

Got a chance to play with the pump settings at the weekend, It turned out I was turning the pump stroke setting the wrong way but after loads of trial runs I have now got it working with just a little white smoke on start up and shut down, the rest of the time it burns clear and produces lots of great heat.

White smoke = low C02 or high air to low fuel = turn the pump adjustment anti clockwise to increase fuel.

Black smoke = High C02 or low air to high fuel = turn the pump adjustment clockwise to cut fuel back.

It a fine line and you should not need to follow it if your pump was set, I only had to do this as I stripped my pump.

Frax

Barry, a friend of mine (ruuman on here) used some 25mm fish tank convoluted hosing that I gave him on his heater. Unfortunately I can't get any more owing to the change of job (and country...) but 25mm flexible convoluted electrical conduit would do the job!

Edit: Something like this, though ideally not 10m of the stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-conduit-gland-kit-10m-x-25mm/21356