Is it worth trying to find a 2.8 VTG (the Brazillian Tdi) ?

Arjan

Now we're using the 110 with the 300 Tdi we find the engine is in need of some serious work to regain power etc.

Before taking the thing out and rebuilding it, I was wondering if the 2.8 is worth considering ?

I have driven a few and they always felt a bit "rough" but what do the knowledgeable people of this forum think ?

And...... where to find one for what sort of money ?

Thanks for the link - wonder why I couldn't find it... :unsure:

100.000 kms, knocking sound, shell(s) problem and ..... "engine now in Germany"

Interesting add but too much money for a "project engine" that sits on the ground, can't be heard running etc.

Hope people with the 2.8 come by and give their honest opinion.

Cant you buy a 2.8 kit that takes a standard 300TDI engine out to 2.8litres.

I remember seeing an ad a few years back with all the parts in the kit laid out.

Garry

Assuming the oil pump is the same, then you'd just nee the crank shaft, con rods and pistons (I'd guess the pistons are different in their gudgeon pin position).

My 2.8TGV was bought new from M&D, something like ten years ago.

At the time I was covering 100 miles/day, usually 7 days/week and reliability was my number one concern. For the price difference at the time, a new 300tdi made more sense than a recon, and the premium for the 2.8 wasn't enough to scare me off from blowing all the overtime I was earning :blush:

The only thing I found 'rough' about it is the power delivery. That's down to haveing purely mechanical control of the turbo. It could fairly easily be fixed with some electronics, though I've never bothered.

Dunno what else to say about it - its been worth every penny, and I'd do it all again.

I could have easily fitted 3 or 4 engines from rusty discos and still have saved money.

What I got was a near standard engine and drivetrain, with a significant lift in performance, using almost all standard LR parts. That's good for sourcing parts when away from home, and to some extent maybe benefits from all those development miles LR put in, more than using a different engine and or gearbox.

Is it worth trying to find one... only you can answer that, only you can decide your criteria and your budget...

but if you come across a well priced low mileage one you don't want, I've got a corner of the garage that would give it a home.

Thanks - this is the sort of opinion I'd like to hear.

As some may know, I've had a few 3.5 Tdi Mazda engines in both RRC and 110 CSW and love the conversion - esp. mated to a ZF.... Strong & simple. However, they are getting very hard to find - good ones that is.

I've been looking around for alternatives as the 300 Tdi in the 110 is well used, does the job - just - but is an unknown quantity. Obviously, the 300 Tdi can be rebuild / overhauled / etc. but still is in standard form around 110 - 120 BHP and just a bit more would be nice. That's what the Mazda 's did so well : just a bit more power, more toque and no oil leaks..

In Holland, the conversion was about € 7.000 + VAT at the time and that is serious money. In France I have yet to see one for sale and also in the UK they are not often around looking for a new home so I have no idea what money they do nowadays..

Thats about the price I remember paying too - I think it was 6500 GBP all in. A lot of money, but when you remember that included new gen. parts injection pump, injectors, and all the ancillaries, the premium over a good recon wasn't anywhere near as big as it sounds. The power and torque gains don't sound huge, but when new, the 2.8 could pull 33" tyres and GKN overdrive uphill at 80, and make a 130 clutch smell at the same time.

Another, maybe less interesting, option is that brand new MWM-International built 300tdis are still available from M&D, in stripped form. Again it costs more than a good rebuild, but you know it's all new. I helped to fit one for another forum member a few weeks ago.

New ones ???

Yes - please tell me how yours is !

I like to suffer...

Ok then, going very well, especially now it's running with a Td5 radiator and intercooler.

It's also had the wastegate tweaked and the fuelling turned up, going as well if not better than when it had the 4.2 V8.

A recent swop to a 1.2 ratio transfer box has made it quieter, given it longer legs, and it still goes well.

To make you feel better, it needs the head off and a set of rings, which I'm hoping will curtail oil consumption, and perhaps make it go even better.

Happily I've been pointed in the direction of someone who sells parts cheaper than M&D, enough I can get a full gasket set and rings delivered for less than £200.

Some positives in it all anyways.

The 3.0 powerstroke is/was available, unfortunately the ECU was not, last time I looked, without buying a complete vehicle.

suitably equipped Ford Rangers can be bought on the South American equivalent of ebay for about 5k, not that I've looked :blush:

One needs to have patience....

That said, it's not often you look for something unless you need it, although buying a bad one and rebuilding it is a sound investment if you suspect your original to be nearing it's demise.

Something I considered but found a 200Tdi engine alone to be only slightly cheaper than a complete but rotten 200Tdi Discovery! :o