2m/70cm antenna

Yolandi

I bought one of these last year NAGOYA S 76 from a ebay seller who is local to me http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-S-76-SILVER-Dual-band-mobile-antenna-2m-70cm-Ham-Radio-VHF-UHF-/131011993689?hash=item1e80ec6059:g:pssAAOSw7hRWQnKR

works fine with my Kenwood TM-D700e rig, it replaced a broken watson W-7900 which was a bit to big for full time mobile use,

have a read of this thread too http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=81702&hl=

I have one of these:

https://damsu.co.uk/platinum-sg-7900-dual-band-super-gainer-pl259-folding-mobile-antenna-high-gain-2m-70cm.html#.VrtNy1IZlzM

There is a longer, higher gain version of the same too - but this one gives a good combination of size & performance IMHO without looking like a CB!

Si (G7DMQ)

That was the reason for the one I bought - it has a sprung hinge at the bottom which, if you align it with the length of the car, it will fold flat. Similarly you can fold it for car-washes & height restrictions. It has survived 3 years so far.

Si

I've gone through a few, fitted a 'workman' open coil now, on a DV style mount. Folds down when wanted or smacks anything heavy. It's quite heavy gauge stainless, but the open coil has enough give for trees and car park barriers.

For 27/28mhz, sorted a nice short 'dial-a-match', which is only just a little longer than a VHF 1/4 wave.

Both on the back panel each side of the door, and no problems with either.

Used to run 'on glass' ones which were brilliant, but the van body and XS heated screens have ruled them out now - bit of a pity coz I could tune one for Coastguard work on marine and the other for 2/70. If it was not for the heated screen, I'd have refitted one 'on glass' and switched the feed to each radio as required.

Have a look at the Panorama modular range if you don't mind stepping (or running!) away from the 3/8 or PL259 base style.

Rugged and reliable, big range of antennas and bases, most parts interchangeable.

The through hole bases are clever. The base is screwed down onto the coax outlet, then locked by a centre bolt. They are available in different lengths for different panel thickness, and can be fitted entirely from outside the panel (not so useful in a Defender, but very handy when kitting out shiny vehicles).

They have dual band vhf/uhf in the range, but I'm a cheapskate, I buy vhf monos and cut them down to whatever I'm doing. Bases can be extra cheap if you buy the panorama mobile phone antennas off ebay. The bases are the same and often cheaper than a base from the regular sources.

I've occasionally bent long vhf whips, but even the base in the centre of the Ibex roof has never been damaged by tree branches being wiped over the roof.

Used to run a long whip on the roof of the D3, but when it hit branches at speed it whipped over and smacked either the back door or the glass roof, so I swapped to a shorter fibreglass whip on the same base before my luck ran out.

EDIT: Hmm, just checked the Panorama website and I don't see a suitable 2m/70cm, though I know a friend bought one last year from a reseller at one of the rallies.