Vacuum pump diaphragms for a 110

deep

I am trying to stitch together an ex-Singapore military 1987 Land Rover 110 2.5 normally aspirated diesel and am getting very close. One sticking point is that the diaphragms in the vacuum pump are shot (which resulted in oil spraying everywhere through the exhaust orifice!). I tried making new ones out of oil-resistant neoprene but, after an hour, they split and did the oil spraying trick too. The pump is the belt-driven type used on 2¼ diesels and some military 2.5s. It is a Spanish item, branded "Autoplas" (see photos).

Here in New Zealand it seems impossible to find these diaphragms or even a whole pump. One supplier got a price from the UK for a repair kit but it was something like 125 pounds, which seems insanely expensive for two diaphragms, suggesting it's the wrong bit. My parts catalogue shows a completely different kind of pump, so I have no part number to go by.

Can anyone either point me to a supplier of these diaphragms or, at least, give me part numbers for the diaphragms, a repair kit or even a whole pump? Even a second hand pump could get me through the VIN process (to make the car legal for NZ roads) and could buy me time to maybe sort out an alternative electrical system. This project has wiped out all my funds so freakishly expensive alternatives are not currently viable!

Thanks in advance....

post-57097-0-81108100-1438466784_thumb.jpg

post-57097-0-63426100-1438466836_thumb.jpg

standard vac pump on all the 2.5 diesel engines including 200tdi is this one item 1 ERR535 in http://lrcat.com/#31/4/53085 looks like this http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/250321/0/vacuum_pump_brakes_2_5_200tdi

yours looks like http://www.sellbox.co/gb/land-rover-series-2a-en-italy-400913749940.html

other than your post above, I've never seen a vacuum pump like that on a LR before.

That was quick! Yup, the standard one you show is the one in my catalogue. I saw that Santana one on EBay but it's not the same type as mine. I guess I could get another type, as long as I can get the right pulley to line up.

I think they fitted the belt drive one because the massive 24volt generator meant things got swapped around. It has actually been a giant pain all round as I had to sort out a mount for a 12volt alternator on the "wrong" side of the engine too. Having a power steering pump and vacuum pump on the left side of the engine meant I couldn't just buy and use a standard alternator mount.

I'll have to do some investigation tomorrow. Looks from the picture like that corresponds to the old injection pump location on a 2¼. That's blanked off on my motor but is part of the bracketry for the throttle cable/linkage. There must be a reason that system wasn't used. Thanks for the information. If it comes to it, I may have to get radical like that but you'd think it sure would be easier just to find two diaphragms!

Given the odd and no-longer--easily-obtainable assembly you have, could you perhaps fit an electric vacuum-pump and then blank off the engine-driven stuff??

All I had to do was take off the drive belt. That part was easy! I do like the electric idea but there is quite a bit of cost and complexity involved and I have a ton of other things to sort out on my minuscule budget, sigh.

Western: that price was almost exactly the same as a local supplier quoted from a source in England (I believe it was Craddock's?). Unbelievably, it would really be my cheapest option from what I have seen so far. Surely, though, it includes more than just the diaphragms? I will enquire, thank you very much for the link.

Hmm. A bit of Googling and it seems several outfits stock this item - all at the same price - and in some lists it is called "Membrane, vacuum pump". Obviously the right thing. Ouch!

Thanks for the help, everyone.

All I had to do was take off the drive belt. That part was easy! I do like the electric idea but there is quite a bit of cost and complexity involved and I have a ton of other things to sort out on my minuscule budget, sigh.

Western: that price was almost exactly the same as a local supplier quoted from a source in England (I believe it was Craddock's?). Unbelievably, it would really be my cheapest option from what I have seen so far. Surely, though, it includes more than just the diaphragms? I will enquire, thank you very much for the link.

I've no idea what's in the 'kit' maybe a email to Britcar I sure the crew there would do their best to find out the contents, hope you find a suitable solution.

I did some more searching and BAU2326 is no the right part.

Yours is a Santana pump and the part number for the repair kit is 194086 which is like hens teeth.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=1fe9650498c14ec1&page=view&resid=1FE9650498C14EC1!1629&parId=1FE9650498C14EC1!1616&app=WordPdf&wacqt=undefined

If you want to keep this pump your only option is to get one of the above kits and cut the diaphragms in the right shape.

http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?topic=67656.0

membrana.jpg

membrana_reformada.jpg

The easier option is to install an electric pump.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I've got to confess that translating those pages isn't straightforward but I get the picture. Why the Singapore military chose a Spanish pump may be something which has to remain a mystery but knowing there are diaphragms I can adapt gives me hope. It must be worth trying to get a pair because the electric option is far from easy and isn't cheap either. The electric pumps I've managed to find to date are pricey, plus you really need a tank and switching system so it doesn't run flat out all the time. I would like to do that and probably will, in time (and an electric fan for that matter), simply because it bothers me to run anything full time which is only needed some of the time!

I looked into that. It would be one step harder than going electric and not as ideal a solution.

I actually had a similar problem with the fuel pump on my Holden powered Series 2a. I couldn't get new diaphragms for love nor money so ended up going electric. Times are changing!

Well, the solution I have arrived at has to be the most overkill of my career. I'm getting a whole engine block, complete with standard vacuum pump! It's got to have everything I need and is in the same ballpark, price-wise, as the kit quoted above. Having just had to replace my laptop yesterday, I can't say I'm a happy chappy but it seems my options are very limited - and there is much to be said for having standard parts next time I need something.

Time to stick one of my cameras on Trade Me, I think...

Meanwhile, in other news, a friend and I have committed to another Aussie trip in a few years. Gonna have to sell more than a camera to pay for that but it is real incentive to keep this build focussed. (One day I will take all the photos I have taken of the build and make a proper thread about it.)

Hi guys,

I've got a series 3 swb. The previous owner swapped the 2.25 petrol for a 2.5 na diesel. I've swapped the brake pedal box and master for a dual system with servo. Anyone tell me where I pick up the vacuum feed from?

Cheers

David

from the vacuum pump that sits vertically to rear of injection pump, there should be a open stub pipe sticking upwards from the body, connect directly to the brake servo non return valve stub pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this topic off - The second hand engine I eventually bought turned out to be a 2.5TD (19J) with an alleged cracked head. The vacuum pump and drive were a direct fit in my 12J motor, though not quite as easy to do as I'd have liked, with quite a bit in the way. It made it hard to line up the drive bush locating screw but I got there. Anyhow, the brakes are absolutely perfect now and I'm already planning to swap one or two other bits over, so the $NZ400 wasn't a bad deal in the end. The design of the standard pump looks like it would be far longer lasting and less maintenance-intensive than the belt-driven pump I removed, so that's a bonus too.

One thing that surprises me is that the "proper" vacuum pump vents to the crankcase, hardly desirable in a motor which is already known to be a heavy breather. Still, it's not really happening when the motor is under load so maybe it's never an issue.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

A friend has just bought one of these and has the vacuum pump issue. I am guessing cutting a diaphragm to size is the best way to go to fix the issue. 

I think everything dash related is 24volt so not worth removing the big alternator and changing it to 12volt??? 

Thanks