Driving/Fog Lights & Headlamp Washers Removal - MoT fail?

boaterboy

I have, on my Discovery 2, '52 reg, done the following:

(i) temporarily removed completely the two driving/fog lights and

(ii) removed the headlamp washers and disconnected the headlamp washer pump (the windscreen & rear screen washers are unaffected).

Will my doing the above result in an MoT failure, please?

Driving/fog lights and reversing-lights are not MOT requirements.

It can get "interesting" in the world of HID-headlights and the specs for beam-levellers and wash-wipe: you need to seek out a friendly tester who understands Oriental imports.

It sounds like it's ok to leave off the driving/fog lights.

The headlamps are not self-levelling - only adjustable manually, western.

Also, there's no wipe facility on the headlamps only a spray every 3 or 4 sprays of the windscreen when the headlamps are switched on.

What are HID headlights, Tanuki, please?

"HID" headlights are modern lighting-fitment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

They replace the old-style halogen bulbs/reflectors and lens/reflector with an electronic-discharge bulb [powered by an electronic ballast/invertor module] and a special reflector lens/reflector unit.

The benefits are that it can deliver lots more light where it matters into the dark, and it does this while needing lots of less-Amps from the vehicle power-supply.

You can get vastly much more usable lighting from a single 25-Watt HID system than from a 60-watt old-style headlamp bulb.

you'll be ok with leaving the headlight powerwashers off then,

HID lights must have a self levelling facitly or the parent vehicle must have it & a wash/wipe for the headlights, if non of those on the vehicle then HID's are not UK/Euro legal on road vehicles.

I have, on my Discovery 2, '52 reg, done the following:

(i) temporarily removed completely the two driving/fog lights and

(ii) removed the headlamp washers and disconnected the headlamp washer pump (the windscreen & rear screen washers are unaffected).

Will my doing the above result in an MoT failure, please?

The simple answer is NO.

Can't help myself, sorry.

According to:

UNECE
Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices
Addendum 47: Regulation No. 48
Revision 12, 16 October 2014

"6.2.9. Other requirements
The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.
Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module( s) producing the principal dipped-beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.11."

And
According to:

UK Vehicle and Operator Services Agency
The MOT Inspection Manual
Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle Testing
Issue Date: April 2013

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washer and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work..."

There is no Reference to HID lighting in the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 and by the sounds of it its a bit of a grey area, other than the general consensus that the UK Authority involved would fall back on the EU requirement used in type approval of said vehicle.

Usual MOT adage applies, if its fitted then it needs to work correctly.

But, Mav, as it's a -52 plate disco 2 with no HID...not applicable. :i-m_so_happy:

On my W-plate Disco 2, I've removed the headlamp washers and front fogs - because I fitted a winch bumper, thus removing the original bumper. Both the headlamp washers and the front fogs are bolted to the OEM bumper.

Passed MOT without a mention of either. I did, however, replace the front fog switch in the cab with a 'blank', just to be doubly sure. If you don't have a 'blank', the switch comes out easily enough, and you could leave the hole. Make sure you take out the right fuse for the headlamp washer pump too, otherwise you'll quickly lose screenwash on every 3rd or 4th spraying!

Matt

Apologies, teabag, I'm not understanding you.

By leaving the fuse in position are you saying the relay will operate, but will not transfer power to the pump because the pump is disconnected/unplugged?

Can I do damage by leaving the fuse in position?

with fuse in & no switch & pump disconnected, nothing will work, relay won't operate because it won't get a switch 'on' signal from the switch which is now disconnected & removed.

Apologies, teabag, I'm not understanding you.

By leaving the fuse in position are you saying the relay will operate, but will not transfer power to the pump because the pump is disconnected/unplugged?

Can I do damage by leaving the fuse in position?

Removing the fuse will isolate the supply to relay and therefore the pump, if u don't wish to remove the fuse then it's a good idea to insulate the pump connection plug with tape.

with fuse in & no switch & pump disconnected, nothing will work, relay won't operate because it won't get a switch 'on' signal from the switch which is now disconnected & removed.

Switch disconnected and removed? U don't seem to understand disco's....

The wash switch function remains as its part of the wiper switch so how would the windscreen wash work if it was ??