300TDI LIFT PUMP 1995

Frax

Went for a run today, only about 20 miles and I think the diesel lift pump has gone. :angry: All of a sudden I lost power and had black smoke from the exhaust then stopped and had to be towed home. :blush:

When I tried the lift pump there was no resistance and it felt like it was going passed the cam - feels rough.

Just fitted it about 2 months ago. Turbo seams fine and no pipes have come loose.

Anyway what is the best make of lift pump to fit as the last ebay one which was new has not lasted.

Regards

Frax

Thanks I think Les, as said I was just driving when I had a sudden loss of power and a puff of black smoke. Turbo gauge was still reading a vac. there are no signs of any leaks - oil or fuel. When I turned it over I was getting no smoke from the exhaust and it never even attempted to start. Is there anything else I need to look at while I wait for the new pump. Dont understand why I had a puff of black smoke either.

I didn't notice mine had gone for ages, although the 90 was noticeably slower and was overheating a bit on the motorway. The lift pump went in a similar fashion, went and filled up with fuel and she refused to start again, lots of juice to engine etc. I ended up replacing the start solenoid thinking it was that old chestnut again, and nothing happened, undid the bleed and nothing cam out the lift pump was completely shot when we got it out. I kept thinking the stuttering was to do with the 200,000 miles .... Anyway, the power is back and the temp is back down.

The injector pump on the 300tdi is a modified Bosch VE. This has a basic vane type fuel pump inside. This allows the injector pump to continue operating, even if the lift pump has failed. Performance may be down as injector pump needs to draw the fuel from the tank, as opposed to having a constant positive pressure supply to the inlet.

Engine may operate easily without any load, but loses power when put under load.

Puff of black smoke usually indicates excess fuel in the cylinder.

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

cheers

Paul

Smoke is a little odd with a lift pump problem in my opinion. I had one go and all it did was to drop power. It also made a noise like a chicken!

The injector pump was pulling fuel through and the engine would start and run, but as soon as you needed any power the injector pump didn't have the suction to pull enough fuel through and the power would drop right off. No smoke though.

What usually happens when a lify pump fails is that the foot mechanism that bears on the cam lobe fails at the pivot point inside the pump. I guess that if the the diaphragm or one of the valves inside the pump failed, then the engine may well cut out immediately. You could try a gravity fed fuel supply to the injector pump and see if the engine starts. If it does, then the lift pump is the most likely culprit.

Les.

Removed pump today and it pumps fine, The problem seams to be that when the pump is mounted it does not pump. Fitted it with the feed to the filter pipe off and turned it over and never got any fuel delivery. Loosened the pump from the block and I was able to pump fuel through. Back on and turned it over again and got nothing. Hand pump does nothing on the engine but works fine when off. Tried this several times but got nothing when mounted. I am going to wait and see if the new pump is different. What drives the engine cam that drives the pump - could that be the problem ??????

Any help welcome

Frax

That cam is a lobe on the camshaft isn't it? So if that wasn't working you'd have an engine not working ...

The hand pump won't work on the engine if the cam is pushing the lever, loosening the pump allows the spring in the pump to push the lever back and hence lets the hand pump work.

Well you wont believe this or maybe you will, Timing belt had gone. Turns out the the tension er bolt had worked loose - belt went slack and shredded.

Hole lot apart , new belt now fitted but I still need to go back out and put the radiator back in. Just hope that no damage has been done. Turned it over quite a few times by hand and there are no strange noises so hears hopping. Will update you later.

IMAG0104-1.jpg

It's worth popping the rocker cover off and checking for damage, may have broken a few rocker arms or bent some push rods. Would be better to check before starting it.

Although it may have just jumped a few teeth and stopped as the belt looks unbroken...

Well back up and running, have not been out with it yet as while I was waiting for the belt I fitted my new turbo gauge. When I started it the pipe on the back of the gauge blow off - need a 1/8" BSP nut to hold it in place. At least its running again and all seams to be OK so far.

I Mo you said it would never end, I will lift the cover and have a look in the morning - also need to fix that Boost gauge. It was very embarrassing being towed home with a Trouper - lucky for me it was about 20 miles of back roads.

Well you wont believe this or maybe you will, Timing belt had gone. Turns out the the tension er bolt had worked loose - belt went slack and shredded.

Hole lot apart , new belt now fitted but I still need to go back out and put the radiator back in. Just hope that no damage has been done. Turned it over quite a few times by hand and there are no strange noises so hears hopping. Will update you later.

IMAG0104-1.jpg

That'll be a bit fubar then-bugger !

Of out to have a look under the rocker cover, I know I should have done this before I started it. The only god send that might have saved me is the fact that the belt did not snap so I think its just jumped a tooth or two - will let you know soon. Started first turn of the key and I mean first turn even though I had the fuel pump off - never even had to bleed it.

Well back to the garage for me ------- fingers crossed...........