Monroe or Koni shocks for Defender?

I have here a South African publication, obtained online, which sings the praises of gas shock absorbers: “….. for a vehicle expected to work long hours off-road, they are essential …….working 4x4s need gas shocks … the real advantage comes when cornering or carrying a load ….the main reason why shock absorbers become soft when they get hot is eliminated.”

I have a Landrover Defender Td5 110 CSW (2005) and am looking for new shocks. My driving is likely to be 85-90% on paved roads, but heavily or quite heavily loaded. My choice seems to come down to – partly on account of what’s available- Koni Heavy Tracks or Monroe Gas Magnum/Gas Magnum TDT.

Which ones might be best?

Hello Popotla.

I changed from original LR oil filled shocks and fitted Monroe gas on my Discovery (standard height) and (imho)they are undoubtedly a much better drive both cornering and the up and down bit!! Very pleased...... if that helps. Easy on the pocket too!! ;):D

Yes but how old were your standard LR shocks on your Discovery 1? If they were old would not of replacing with new standard LR shocks also have improved your ride in a similar fashion as the new gas shocks? Can anyone compare new LR with new aftermarket? After cocking up the ride hieght on my 90 with aftermarket standard height springs and shocks I would now think twice about not fitting genuine or OE parts. (if you want to maintain factory look)

Can anyone compare new LR with new aftermarket?

Yes, in my opinion, decent gas shocks are noticeably better, both on road and off.

Also, before anyone says that Land Rover spend millions of pounds, thousands of hours and miles testing their products, they also build products to a budget.

I can't offer much in the way of a valid comparison as the shocks fitted to my 110 Stationwagon (3.9 V8) when I bought it were knackered, but I now have Koni Heavy Tracks, set to the middle damping position, with standard LR springs and I'm pretty impressed with the road holding of the beast - it'll take a roundabout more adroitly than our Panda, which might not be saying much but compared to my parabolically sprung/Pro-Comp damped Lightweight it's pretty impressive. I've not had a chance to test them much off-road, but I see no reason why they wouldn't be fine. Not really silly money either - £200 all round from Paddocks.

AC.