RRC Carawagon

T-Rex

Just wondering does this honey have any brothers or sisters out there ? "74 RRC Carawagon V8, very original condition awaiting restoration........ :blink: View my Gallery.

gallery_713_23_128633.jpg

How did you come by that? Looks rarer than a rare thing...

gallery_713_23_128633.jpg

How did you come by that? Looks rarer than a rare thing...

Picked it up from a classic car dealer in Ireland ! Its an original Searle Carawagon conversion and has one previous owner in Lincon and still on its orginal plates. Slept in it (and my three children) at a recent overnight 4x4 jambouree that our club www.clri.net held in August of this year. Got super attention a real eyecatcher. It does require restoration but structurally is sound and drives........and V8.......ooh the sound.

Mike.

ONE previous owner? Have you tracked him/her down? Be fascinating to know where its been and maybe produce a bit of a scrap book type thing for it. Would it be possible to track down the searle records and see if they built any others. This must have cost the original owner more than a few pennies for such a unique vehicle.

Congrats on such a great find, and for using it was intended :)

ONE previous owner? Have you tracked him/her down? Be fascinating to know where its been and maybe produce a bit of a scrap book type thing for it. Would it be possible to track down the searle records and see if they built any others. This must have cost the original owner more than a few pennies for such a unique vehicle.

Congrats on such a great find, and for using it was intended :)

Original owner has passed away alas though his son used it til 2000 when it failed its Mot. Passed it on to the dealer I rescued it from. Bit of paperwork with it , some original reciepts from Carawagon for accessories / services. One for £104 for New Zealand Lambs wool seat covers and cushions and guess what..... Still in the vehicle although worn ! And that was £104 pounds in 1974 !!!!!! I believe the car saw use in Switzerland and Dubai with the original owner. Even has the original picnic set (most of it anyway) in the centre console. Twin gas burner, SINK ! with pumped water, fold out table, and the original spare tyre..........unused ! Your right it is indeed a very rare rarity, alas Searle has long since gone, any ideas where i could start lookin for info, since most of its life was in the UK. Mike

Not a close relative, cousin perhaps, bizarrely I got this from NI where it had migrated to, now in Scotland. 1972. I have not used mine for the intended purpose, mind you it was a close call when the wife found out I had bought it :o:angry:

Didn't Jimmy Saville have a brown two tone version, I think they must have been two tone as standard.

CIMG0100.jpg

Best thing is to join the Range Rover Register and then it's easier to get factory build details through Peter Kenworthy the historical officer who has factory connections. I am sure they will be interested in the story for the magazine and may well be able to put you in touch with any other owners, I am sure there is at least one.

Glad to see you have rescued it in usable condition and even happier to hear that it is being used :D

There's a picture of a green and limestone (?) RR Carawagon in this months LRW taken at the RRR day at Gaydon. Pretty sure there's also a red coloured one that does the shows occasionally.

Kev

Thanks lads ,beautiful RR ambulance.......Have made contact with RRR interested to see what develops. And if thats the same Kev @LRW loved the article on the duffle bag !! :D

• 1 month later...

Carawagons are quite rare these days. There is a RRR member called Dave, based in Linconshire that has a couple of them. I'm sure he'd be interested in making contact with you via the RRR. The Limestone and green one mentioned earlier in this post sounds like one of his Carawagon RRs. The red one (with a black stripe) belongs to a friend of his.

Well I expect she's still cooking and washing for him so it's probably not all bad. :ph34r:

Tried to move it from behind the neighbours silage shed last time home. Connected the battery the wrong way round :blink::rolleyes: then the correct way and believe it or not it started after about 5 spins, that's been standing in the open in the mud for over a year and it has a mechanical fuel pump,unbelievable. Unfortunately the clutch is seized so I could only move it a few meters by starting in first with the low box in neutral then jam it into low, sacrilage :(

I am far enough away to be safe at the moment, eat out and have a lady come in to do my laundry B)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Hi,

The blue carawagon used to be my grandfathers and then became my fathers following his death. T-Rex, do you still own the vehicle. I'm sure my father would be able to offer up some history for the vehicle.

Your absolutely right that it spent a number of years in Switzerland, where my grandfather lived. My father then brought it back to the UK, where we used it intermittently for a number of years. I remember going camping in it on a number of occasions.

Send me a message on here should you wish to get in touch. Hope to hear from you

Edited by V8 Freak
Removed phone number
  • Like 1