Hazard Switch & Indicators - fault diagnosis

I have a problem that doesnt seem to be covered by any of the answers on here.

My indicators are fine! Hazard lights are fine with ignition on. Ignition off no hazards!

I have fitted new switch and new flasher but all remains the same. I have check permanent supply and all good. I have even run a line to the switched supply (green) and it then works. Trouble is, everything else works too when it shouldn't as the ignition is off!

My problem is that I have re-built this car from the ground up and never had an issue until the last MOT when they tested them properly. Did this problem exist when I had the first post rebuild MOT done??? did it exist before the rebuild???

I am at a loss for now. Any other help would be great. If there is an friendly auto electrician in the new forest area who would like to pop in, that would be great too

cheers

Dave

Finnaly here is that cicuit diagram that I drew. Would have posted it sooner but usually only on here at work and my work firewall doesn't let me post pictures or even use the smileys for some reason :rolleyes:

post-9000-0-10838800-1321723754_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps

I would suggest there is a fault on the permenant live. If everything works when you run a new line to this are you sure you are not attaching it to the Ignition live on the haz switch by mistake?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and also relatively new to the joys of Defender ownership… Being very inexperienced yet keen with marginal mechanical knowledge (great combination - just be pleased I am not working on your lr!) I have a number of repairs on the go. Oh yes you can read from that it is in many pieces and now not even close to being back on the road! :)

Anyway this is a great thread (thank you) but have got as far as I can and now I am stumped.

I have done the tests outlined at the start of the thread and all successful when I use the permanent supply. However when I try to repeat the tests using 'Light switch supply' instead of 'permanent supply' with the ignition switch on second click I get nothing.

The problem I am trying to resolve is my speed gauge, fuel gauge and temperature gauge all read zero (back lights and odometer still receiving power) and my indicators will not work with the ignition on. Hazards work fine both with ignition off and on.

Keen to know what I should try next? Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and also relatively new to the joys of Defender ownership… Being very inexperienced yet keen with marginal mechanical knowledge (great combination - just be pleased I am not working on your lr!) I have a number of repairs on the go. Oh yes you can read from that it is in many pieces and now not even close to being back on the road! :)

Anyway this is a great thread (thank you) but have got as far as I can and now I am stumped.

I have done the tests outlined at the start of the thread and all successful when I use the permanent supply. However when I try to repeat the tests using 'Light switch supply' instead of 'permanent supply' with the ignition switch on second click I get nothing.

The problem I am trying to resolve is my speed gauge, fuel gauge and temperature gauge all read zero (back lights and odometer still receiving power) and my indicators will not work with the ignition on. Hazards work fine both with ignition off and on.

Keen to know what I should try next? Thank you!

Did you check the fuses?I think the problem is in one of the fuse

• 1 year later...

Hi wondered of anyone can help!?? When I link perm 12v (purple) or light switch supply with ign on to either right or left indicators they light. The problem comes when I link perm 12v or light switch 12v with ign on again to supply to flasher I get nothing of the stalk. Landymanluke suggests the flashers should then work as normal?? I have fitted a new horn/indicator/flash switch not 3 months ago!!? Regards Dave

Were you connecting 12v between a supply and each indicator? If so, you probably have a short in your indicator wiring.

First thing I'd do is remove the lenses from the indicator bulb units, and remove the units from the wings, and see if you've still got an earth fault.

• 4 months later...

Lights are driving me crazy, was told it was probably hazard related, I'm going to try and test the switch today

But was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

All lights blink with the hazards

Running an directional in frt

Brake and directions in rear.

When I pull the hella relay, no hazards but

Turn lights on:

Front= everything lights except left directional

Rear = just right brake and directional

Brake lights work, but directional dash light comes on when ever I push the brake pedal.

Relay is grounded, all lights are grounded

Bout to blow up truck.

And my directional dash light goes on when I put the headlights on?

• 4 months later...