Storage Drawer Build

Mark

This seems to be a fairly popular topic at the moment, but it is something I have had in the back of my mind for some time. With some proposed travels coming up in the near-ish future, I thought I would finally get on with building some drawers to keep stuff in, for the discovery.

I have seen the MSS store drawer and a number of other solutions from both Australia and South Africa, but they all came out a little too pricey for my budget. Whilst my solution hasn't necessarily been the cheapest way to go, it certainly isn't into the realms of the commercially available systems.

My criteria for the drawers were as follows:

- Made out of metal - My disco leaks, and I have a habit of dunking it into damp places, so wood is not favored.

- Fit into my existing Load rails - see pics below

- Easily removabale from said load rails

- Not stop the Load rails from being used for other stuff...

- Be strong enough that I could put anything on top of the drawers that I might put in the boot of the truck

- Be able to carry recovery gear and tools, and whatever else I need reasonably instant access to...

- Be made by me, at home (mostly) with whatever materials I can obtain cheaply and easily...

The Back of the disco has load rails thus:

gallery_92_191_65735.jpg

I have since removed the rear dickie seats, the resultant gap will be used to hold jerry cans.

Layoutwise, the MSS design uss a single drawer, and a lcokers either side. The lockers still require you to unload whatever is on top to get to them, so I went for 2 drawers next to each other.

I decided to use a frame type construction, as I can fabricate that relatively easily. Folded construction is good, and often lighter, but requires the use of a folding machine of some description, whereas framework can be cut and joined quite simply. The trade off here is efficient use of space; a folded construction can utilise the space better, whereas the framework will intrinsically lose some space.

I came to the conclusion that the drawers and the outer frame would all be made from 20mm square ERW steel. This is quite a thin wall material, but gives good strength for this sort of application without being massively heavy. I went through using stainless or aluminium, but I an not setup to do either at home, so steel won! The Steel came from my friendly local blacksmith (thanks paul) and so far I have used nearly 18m of it :o that is 3 6m lengths!

Outer Frame Work:

gallery_92_487_57703.jpg

A Drawer Frame:

gallery_92_487_39213.jpg

The outer framework only needs to have the top covered - the sides are fairly immaterial at this stage. This will be done with 3mm aluminium, obtained from the scrap yard - an ex-road sign. The same piece of ally will yield the front/bottom piece for the draws themselves. This has been folded using a brake press, but is the only bit so far. The sides of the drawers will be filled in with 1.6mm ally, as that is what I had lying around (from previous visits to the scrap yard!)

The Drawer Front/Bottom Piece:

gallery_92_487_67652.jpg

How the drawer will fit together:

gallery_92_487_63892.jpg

The slides / runners for the drawers came from an equipment rack, also at the scrap yard, and are rated at 75kg per pair. I figured this would be enough for my use. They are 600mm long, but my drawers are 700mm deep, so I decided I would just put up with the 100mm difference.

gallery_92_487_40305.jpg

The drawers will be kept closed using the same type of catch as the MSS draws use - that is a Southco Paddle latch. These are physically huge, but if you need to get in the drawer whilst wearing gloves for example, then the size is good. I am using the non-locking stainless steel variety, since that is what I could get at a sensible price. Mine came from the states, since anyone in the Uk was looking at £40 per catch. With the shipping and a bit of duty, these came to just over £20 each - by far the most expensive single component in the build!

gallery_92_487_106136.jpg

I wasn't too worried about them not locking, as with the rear door closed, you will not be able to get to the front of the drawers anyway.

Have just about got the frames finished, and all the pices in place to get the drawers together. Framework needs the welds dressing back, since my design has some fairly close clearances, but my welding doesn't! The frame needs paint, and then the whole lot can be constructed....

watch this space....

Tim,

Yeah they are going in the new one now, but I started them before I got it! The new one will have the cargo rail in, the same as the old one though. Alternatly, I will make the drawers bolt down through the 4 threaded holes already present in the Disco floor... The design is still fairly fluid!

;)

Mark

Mark, I've just hijacked your thread to show my drawer build too :) Since I'm making mine from wood it should make a nice contrast to yours whilst staying on topic :)

As far as design goes, I'm just making it up as I go along !

18-03-08_1723.jpg

18-03-08_1722.jpg

18-03-08_1721.jpg

18-03-08_1719.jpg

Mo

I'm going to board straight across the top Mark but I'm not sure what to do with the bit at the side yet as I'm making it all up as I go along. My toolbox did fit in there but the build has crept across the back and there's not so much space now. We'll see, perhaps I'll have to invent a use for it. :) The front has yet to go on and I'm not sure about what latch to use yet. I've also got to put a divider or 2 in the drawer and then we'll be about done :) I hope...

Yours is looking very substantial, that's going to take heaps of abuse ! Looking forward to seeing the remainder of the building of it :)

Mo

B&Q have a crappy website (I hope you are reading this, B&Q) and it is next to impossible to find stuff there. It is easier to go to the store and look in the hardware aisle. Ebay has some.

45kg isn't too bad, near 100lb. If you need more capacity then you can double up on them, leave a 15mm gap between the sets to make it easier to install when you have removed the drawer though.

Found the B&Q page.

Mark, that is looking pretty bloody good mate. I am watching this with interest! I cant wait to see the end result.

Mo.....damn, you started before me! I am begining mine tomorrow. Managed to get some Birch ply just down the road, and have been tweaking the design, so I think I'm about ready to start now. Do you have any more pictures at all??

Martin

Can I be one of those too now ? :)

Mo

If you like. I had to give up my job and study full time for two years and then sell my Harley and equip a workshop and then start making and finding clients. There's no money in it though so I teach it at college two days a week.

There's money in plumbing, electrics, plastering and joinery but nothing at all in furniture. I still love the job though, but I can't afford to play Land Rovers anymore. Though that could be to do with being an environmental architecture student and having a house to rebuild.

By the way, what does IIRC mean? I've not come across that before.

Anyway, we're off topic.

Mark, that is looking pretty bloody good mate. I am watching this with interest! I cant wait to see the end result.

Mo.....damn, you started before me! I am begining mine tomorrow. Managed to get some Birch ply just down the road, and have been tweaking the design, so I think I'm about ready to start now. Do you have any more pictures at all??

Martin

Martin, what would you like pics of ?

I haven't done any today as I had to accompany SWMBO to the Tate Modern and I shall be helping WKW90 with his rebuild tomorrow so I won't be resuming the battle until Friday.

You have a design ! Bravo sir, I just had a rough idea and made it up as I went along, and it's not turned out too badly so far. the fun will start when I try to make the front of the drawer flush with everything else :)

Mo