cam moved 1.8 kser

meeky8

new to this forum thing. so here goes. stripping head for gasket and oil rail in sump.while undoing head bolts i noticed i could'nt get at two bolts. so went to have a look on the old net to see what was wrong. then got the shout from my son got them.went to see he said i just turned the cam.WHAT WAY?HOW FAR? i dont know he said. so get my drift what do i do? any help please do i turn them both to the timing marks line up?

the 2 marks have to point at each other (i.e. there is a mark on the inlet and a mark on the exhaust cam wheel that need to point at each other), there is a tool to hold them but if you have enough patience and a helper, you can get your helper to hold the cams while you put the belt on. Then obviously, turn the crank to line up with its mark when you put the belt back on. The water pump has no timing mark as it doesnt need timing.

I was told the cylinder liner heights are/were frequently badly set at the factory which didn't help the head gasket problems, so worth looking at those. I've never investigated how involved it might be to set them correctly, but if it's not too much hassle it's got to to be worth a look.

Also replace plastic head dowels with steel ones.

• 1 month later...

hi How did you get on with your timing I have the same problem but cannt get it right each sprocket has a mark on the slots on the rear of the wheel ie. in on one slot ex on other slot .for example the left wheel what slot goes onto roll pin on cam shaft any idea.