Gearbox whining

andy d

Bought a 2005 Freelander TD4 SE last week, I expected it to be a bit noisey and possibly have a bit more transmission noise than I'm used to as I'm new to the 4x4 scene.

I'm noticing a whining/grinding noise when changing from 4th to 5th gear, also noticed I can feel the sensation of something grinding through the gearstick.

It only happens when the gearstick is pushed into the 5th gear slot and the clutch is still depressed, when the clutch is released the noise stops.

The car is still under the first month aftersales warranty and the dealer is arranging for it to be sent to a Land Rover dealer for further inspection and subsequent repairs.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem or any advice on what the probable cause.

The Vauxhall mechanic at the dealer I bought the car from said it may be a collapsed gearbox bearing.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions :)

The box in the Td4 Freelanders is usually very smooth so if there seems to be something amiss I would certainly get it investigated while you still have some chance of getting something for it!

The box in the Td4 Freelanders is usually very smooth so if there seems to be something amiss I would certainly get it investigated while you still have some chance of getting something for it!

Thanks, I should have some news on Monday about which garage will be looking at it, I'll post what the outcome is when I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

The news is good and bad.

The bad news is Land Rover say the gearbox needs to come off and a new something or other rod link thingy needs replaced.

The good news is I'm still within the Arnold Clark warranty so they are covering it.

I called the Darnly Land Rover dealers who are doing the work and asked if they could give the car a quick look over while doing the work to the gearbox, I was quite shocked to hear they wanted to charge me for the labour to do it even though my car is in their garage for at least four days at their extortionate labour rates.

Told them just to do the work the car was in for. It's a real pity as shhould they have had found a few problems with it they would have been getting paid to put them right by Arnold Clark.

Seems like a false economy on their part, or at least on the snooty service womans part!

Problem Solved!

Darnley Landrover called to so the Freebie is all fixed and tickety boo.

Apparently it was a broken gear selector arm that was causing the noise/vibration sensation through the gearstivk. They removed the gearbox fixed the selector arm and fished out the broken bit to save any future mishaps.

After a good test drive it got the thumbs up.........I'll be able to take it on my 1000 mile roadtrip to kent and back, I'll let you all know how it went and the MPG figures etc as I know there is some interest on MPG due to recent events.