Castrol BOT 130M

No it isn't the same as MTF94, it is a new (#kin expensive) synthetic lubricant and at the moment I don't know of any equivalents. However it is probably cheaper buying it under the Castrol name, than getting a bottle of "genuine Land Rover gearbox oil".

Maybe try a Ford dealer as the same oil is used in the MT82 gearbox in the Transits.

Been discussed before :)http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19567

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Castrol asking for this oil and of course they sent me to the dealer. The dealer said "what is that"!. I guess LR can not figure out that Defenders (unlike Jags: use the same oil) are problably built

for the field and get eventually a smashed/flooded gearbox in the middle of Bolivia or Kirgistan, and I bet you will get this :blink: if you ask around for Castrol BOT 130M!

How much was the LR original oil?

M

How much was the LR original oil?

M

Seems the stuff is also sold by Castrol in a bottle labelled SMX-S, it's a fully synthetic SAE 75W-85 manual gear oil - at least this is what I got when I went to Castrol's site and asked it what a TDCi gearbox should use...

Not being in the UK I could only google a price - UK pounds 11.57 for a litre!! :wacko:

Ruaraidh

After insisting with Castrol, the chap kindly answer again saying:

"De: Cat, Enquiries [mailto:AutoTechEnquiries@bp.com]

Enviado el: mié 02-04-2008 8:39

Para: Bertens Neumann Alfredo (Casa Matriz)

Asunto: RE: Castrol Enquiry

In that case - best thing would be a GL-4 synthetic 75W-90 such as maybe TAF-X, or whatever you can lay your hands on that is a 75W-90 GL-4, synthetic if possible, semi or mineral if you are desperate.

Obviously, for warranty it's best to stick to the BOT if you can

Cheers

Andy

CASTROL TAF-X 1 Ltr

SAE 75W/90 is a fully synthetic multi-grade gear oil. gives to ensure extra protection at extreme low and high operating temperatures.

It is formulated with specially selected additives to combine extreme pressure qualities with synchro-cone compatibility.

It is designed to help improve cold weather gear selection and keep transmission noise levels to a minimum at high operating temperatures.

Castrol TAF-X is recommended for use in manual gearboxes, transaxles, transfer boxes and final drives where an API GL4 lubricant is specified. 1 Ltr £17.50

Now, if you go to: http://www.olyslager-lubricants.nl/LiquiMo...px?sType=146678 you realize you can use whatever. I agree with engine oil, but the rest I do not know. Just check what they recomm for the swivels