Freelander won't start

mjg

I have a 2000 td4 freelander and recently it has failed to start - there is no power going to the fuel pumps, the aa have started it by a seperate power supply to the rear pump, it will then run and i can stop and start agian but after a few hundred miles i come to start it and it does it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure if this is a similar problem to the one I experienced with my 1999 1.8 petrol freelander, but may be worth a look - Mine would not start one morning and luckily the recovery guy who came used to be a land rover technician. On mine the fuel pump is accessed by lifting the carpets under the rear seats. He managed to get it started my wiggling the wiring loom under here. It looks like the seat support had been resting on the loom and caused a break in the copper but the plastic around the wire was undamaged.

Hope this helps, but obviously yours is a diesel and may be completely different!

Hi

The fuel pumps are controlled by a relay which is turned on by the engine ecu during start up, I would first check or change the relay, check security of multi plug on ecu,there is a good wiring diagram of the circuit in the RAVE download.

Regards

Tony

The pump is in the back but has a cover over it and all appears fine there.

Not sure if this is a similar problem to the one I experienced with my 1999 1.8 petrol freelander, but may be worth a look - Mine would not start one morning and luckily the recovery guy who came used to be a land rover technician. On mine the fuel pump is accessed by lifting the carpets under the rear seats. He managed to get it started my wiggling the wiring loom under here. It looks like the seat support had been resting on the loom and caused a break in the copper but the plastic around the wire was undamaged.

Hope this helps, but obviously yours is a diesel and may be completely different!

Is the relay in the front on the right hand side as i hve had the fuel pump relay replaced and the problem happened again.

I think its somewhere with the engine management, as it is as if when you turn the ignition to start all things work but a part is not telling the system to send power to the pumps, i don't know if this is a sensor or that is intermittent as its not every time or what else it could be.

Hi

The fuel pumps are controlled by a relay which is turned on by the engine ecu during start up, I would first check or change the relay, check security of multi plug on ecu,there is a good wiring diagram of the circuit in the RAVE download.

Regards

Tony

Is the relay in the front on the right hand side as i hve had the fuel pump relay replaced and the problem happened again.

I think its somewhere with the engine management, as it is as if when you turn the ignition to start all things work but a part is not telling the system to send power to the pumps, i don't know if this is a sensor or that is intermittent as its not every time or what else it could be.

Hi

Your location of the fuel pump relay is correct, the relay receives its supply via the ignition switch and a inertia switch (C0123) which is located on the left hand side of the engine comartment. The earth return of the relay is thro the engine ecu.Hope this helps

Tony

Still having no luck at the garage,they can't find a problem as it has started fine since they have had it.

will get the ignition and inertia switch changed and hope this solves the problem.

Have purchased a jumpstarter so i can power the rear motor if it fails to start again and will see what happens.

If it fails again i don't know what else to try.