Help! 200tdi white smoke and rough running

Ok I re did the timing belt properly this time! Locked the flywheel and the pump, cam in correct position, belt on and tensioned it. Didn't assemble the front of the engine this time before having a go starting it and it's now running much smoother but snot quite itself yet, very very slight misfire under power but I haven't messed with the front of the injector pump to sort that yet, but it's still smoking like hell. But only white smoke, there's no coolant in the engine at all and slight white smoke is coming out the top hose port on the engine.

Now what??

You say you didn't do anything with the front of the injector pump. Just checking, did you torque the belt then tighten the 3 injection pump pulley bolts afterwards whilst the locking pin was still in?

there's no coolant in the engine at all and slight white smoke is coming out the top hose port on the engine.

Now what??

That does Not Sound Good.

Where's the coolant gone? Check the oil level and colour - if it's milky your missing coolant's in the sump.

My worry though is that your missing coolant's gone off down the exhaust-system (burning glycol-based antifreeze produces white smoke: it's what discos/parties vapourise in their fog- and smoke-machines!) and you have a head-gasket or cylinder-head-porosity/crack issue that's also causing the misfire.

All this talk about timing and fuel issues does not explain the oil and water loss. Those fluids went somewhere at the same time you saw a load of smoke, and all of a sudden the compression has dropped on one or more cylinders so that the running is rough and performance down.

I think your initial instincts of water ingestion damage are right. You need to pull the head off and check it for cracks and bent valves, check the push rods and remove the pistons to check the conrods are OK. Fiddling with the ancilliaries is going to cost time and money but will not resolve the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys! Hate to start on an old thread, I've finally gotten round to getting it sorted now.

Removed the engine, stripped it right down and checking for broken or worn parts as i go (so far just the starters knackered) and I've stopped at the crank and pistons in the block. So just a block, nothing on it, pistons and crank are still on.

I thought to test the pistons and rings with a little fluid test, Levelled the pistons off to one height to see a difference from on to the other and put around an inch of diesel in each, now after an hour 1 and 3 have gone down to the tops of the pistons, i think 4 is sort of down a bit (might just be me!) and 2 hasn't really moved at all.

What's this mean?? Are they busted or is 1,3 and 4 healthy and 2 is bad being it holds its drink.

Looking at it tho, kind of explains the symptoms doesn't it? White smoke, rough running and oil throughout the turbo and intake system? (via rocker hose)

Get back to me on any ideas guys, I mean I'm building the engine from scratch so it hasn't got a choice if its going to run or not! but just worth asking about the pistons to at least know whats been causing the problem.

Oh and any tips on what to replace and what not to if rebuilding a 200tdi would be much appreciated!